Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD 23.10.1 For FreeBSD-Based MATE Desktop OS

Phoronix: GhostBSD 23.10.1 For FreeBSD-Based MATE Desktop OS

GhostBSD 23.10.1 released this weekend as the newest version of this FreeBSD-based desktop-focused operating system that employs the GNOME2-forked MATE desktop by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very cool, FreeBSD should get some more attention on the desktop so that hopefully hardware and application support will improve over time.

Comment

Yay! Good job Eric! Hope to one day run GhostBSD as my daily-driver...

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
        Very cool, FreeBSD should get some more attention on the desktop so that hopefully hardware and application support will improve over time.
        Yep FreeBSD basically has the same problem as Linux does where probably 90% of the development effort is focused on servers and the needs of companies using it as servers but Linux has enough users that that remaining 10% has a meaningful effect whereas in FreeBSD things look pretty dire. However it's not a lost cause because just look at OpenBSD they have a much smaller set of developers but because they dogfood it their DRM support is at Linux 6.1 compatibility whereas FreeBSD's is at 5.15.

So if they could get some more people who care a whole awful lot about running FreeBSD on the desktop and making things work then their hardware and software compat could probably be in pretty good shape, and being dogfoodable on the desktop would allow it to express its strengths and I think a FreeBSD that is dogfoodable could easily double or quadruple its share overnight because potential users would stop bouncing off of it when they find out that if they want to run it on a laptop they need an old thinkpad, which will put things in a much more sustainable state.

I'd really be very curious to see what a FreeBSD with Linux's level of PC hardware support and fully working Linux software compat would be able to do.

Comment

Yes if I were the FreeBSD guys I would start to:
          1. Pick out a few well-known laptops (Thinkpad, Dell, Framework, ...) and make their hardware work 100%. Including Wifi and Bluetooth and suspend.
          2. Add an option in the installer to set up a Xfce desktop
          3. Create a basic GUI package manager kind of like Synaptic or Yast. (I know greybeards and Arch kids will scoff.)

Comment

Estranged1906 2.GhostBSD
            has seperate xfce ISO as well

3. It has GUI software centre

Comment

Working...
            X