Redox OS Planning A Server Version, Stable ABI & Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

BSD and MIT and Apache licenses are more free than GPL. People are just greedy and exploit it and don't give back, a fundamental flaw in capitalism. But they are more free.
    They are only more free in that it grants you the freedom to impose restrictions on other people and deny them their own freedoms. That is not something I am interested in supporting.
    Greed is a flaw of human nature as old as our species, hence why I support the GPL. Exploitation is inevitable without limitation.

Comment

What I like about Redox is that the people who make it have a strong vision bottom to top of what it is trying to be.

Also the rust revolution to terminal CLI apps is refreshing and wonderful. The OG people did a fantastic job, but the terminal isn't some relic from a time period long-past -- it's functionally amazing and in need of iterative refinements and we see that in the rust space.

I would like to see improvements in scaling, line-wrapping, vectorization, and more complex image output -- kitty terminal & templeOS both have some claims to fame in that regard that would be great to see mainlined.

Additionally things like the vim mode-setting in Alacritty, well done terminal multiplexing (looking @ you byobu), increased color space output or even Terminal Markup Language would all be areas I could see breakthroughs.

I digress, I fully expect RedoxOS to have a place in my future use, their strong vision and divergence from legacy is what is so refreshing. The microkernel design is going to be interesting when the network stack can simply be restarted on a crash instead of bringing the whole thing down.

I watch their progress with great anticipation.

Comment

BSD and MIT and Apache licenses are more free than GPL. People are just greedy and exploit it and don't give back, a fundamental flaw in capitalism. But they are more free.
        🤦🤦🤦

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

Not wasting my time on any operating system that's not GPLv2 or later.
          Its going to need to be GPLv3 at least.

Tivoization

But even Android and Red Hat still manage to put the work of others behind EULA license restricted walls so the GPL is failing these days. The greedy criminals are too smart. The open-source community should just focus on making great software and not what the companies are doing. And *certainly* not engaging with them.

Comment

Yes more free, free to fail mainly.

Comment

It would if not for the proprietary-lite license. Not wasting my time on any operating system that's not GPLv2 or later. Just asking to be cucked. Might as well use Windows or Mac OS if i want to be a slave.
              So you have an idea about why someone is interested in paying $400,000:

Redox OS receives an anonymous $400,000 donation:

Last edited by Nth_man; 05 October 2023, 05:56 AM.

Comment

This has been repeated ad infinitum. The reality isn't like that.

BSD lovers hate GPL, but GPL grows exponentially. And that's despite corps such as Google and Apple actively promiting BSD-like ones.

Comment

It would if not for the proprietary-lite license. Not wasting my time on any operating system that's not GPLv2 or later. Just asking to be cucked. Might as well use Windows or Mac OS if i want to be a slave.
                  Of course the software cultist that literally believes software should have more freedom than humans would call a less restrictive license "proprietary".
                  Meanwhile corporations are far more willing to contribute to BSD/MIT projects than GPL ones due to their non-infectious nature. See projects like Clang and FreeBSD.
                  I myself outright avoid any GPL libraries due to their infectious nature. GPL quite literally is comparable to an education-only license, it's even put in the "EULA" section of installers, because it basically is a EULA. It literally tells me what I can and cannot do with my own software because I'm borrowing someone else's code, something that is pure information and the author wouldn't even notice if I used. This is why GPL is dying out, it's both restrictive and turns out, useless because companies actually usually don't "steal" code anyway but actually contribute back to the ecosystem, which is far more powerful than basement-dwelling hobbyists contributing.
                  Thankfully Clang and Rust are becoming dominant, and, hopefully, something like Redox will replace Linux too, so we can put an end to this stupid software cult that's responsible for inane self-sabotage like non-working NVidia drivers on Linux. Yes, I hate NVidia and actively don't buy their cards, but Linux is literally preventing them from doing work which prevents everyone else from doing work, meanwhile everything just works on Windows, which really doesn't help adaption of Linux and, indeed, is probably the number one reason people don't even consider using it. Because of your identity politics cult.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    BSD lovers hate GPL, but GPL grows exponentially.
                    Proof? So far almost every new project in the last couple years have been in Rust and that ecosystem is almost entirely BSD/MIT.

Edit: Actually, while I can't find any statistics on GitHub proper or anything, looking up "github license use statistics" gives me results like this one which does indeed state GPL only has a 15-17% use while MIT has about 40%. A blog post from GitHub way back in 2015 shows these numbers as well, so GPL adoption really hasn't grown in a while.
                    Last edited by Ironmask; 05 October 2023, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                      Meanwhile corporations are far more willing to contribute to BSD/MIT projects than GPL ones due to their non-infectious nature. See projects like Clang and FreeBSD.
                      Lmao yeh sure all the countless corporate contributions to FreeBSD, dwarfing those made to Linux...

By the way, I guarantee you that Webkit and Blink would not be open source if KHTML had not been GPL'd.

Comment

Working...
                      X