Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MidnightBSD 3.1 Released With Ravenports Integration

Phoronix: MidnightBSD 3.1 Released With Ravenports Integration

MidnightBSD 3.1 is now available for this desktop-minded, FreeBSD-forked operating system that aims to be "the BSD for everyone" with an Xfce-based desktop and focus on ease of use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Never understood the appeal of midnight. It is a hard fork of free and therefore the binary Nvidia driver support that free has is absent as is a lot of the hardware support that Free has. Hardened is just a security layer on top of Free so is mostly compatible with free's code so I hear. Midnight is like a niche operating system version of a niche operating system! FreeBSD and OpenBSD have enough hardware compatibility problems of their own and are relatively small projects compared to the typical Linux distro. I love them both. Just can't fathom the appeal of midnight when we have distros like Ghost to help people onramp to FreeBSD better.

Comment

Michael

Your "bot" made a typo?

"is now available bot bootstrapping"

Comment

I've never tried MidnightBSD, but I really love its logo.

Comment

I'd look at Dragonfly BSD for a fork of FreeBSD that has diverged enough to actually offer something interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            Never understood the appeal of midnight. It is a hard fork of free and therefore the binary Nvidia driver support that free has is absent as is a lot of the hardware support that Free has. Hardened is just a security layer on top of Free so is mostly compatible with free's code so I hear. Midnight is like a niche operating system version of a niche operating system! FreeBSD and OpenBSD have enough hardware compatibility problems of their own and are relatively small projects compared to the typical Linux distro. I love them both. Just can't fathom the appeal of midnight when we have distros like Ghost to help people onramp to FreeBSD better.
            The Nvidia binary driver still works in MidnightBSD, at least through 30 series cards. MidnightBSD 3.1.0 is roughly equivalent to FreeBSD 12-stable from a few weeks ago. Most hardware works the same as in FreeBSD up to that point.

(I'm the MidnightBSD project runner)

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
              I've never tried MidnightBSD, but I really love its logo.
              It's actually the third logo we've had, and was created by Lukas Upton for the MidnightBSD project. We've always had a cat theme though.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Likely same as Ubuntu's method, keep splitting until users' can no longer resist using your product!

Comment

Ravenports works on GNU/Linux distros too, looks very interesting as an alternative source for packages.

Comment

Originally posted by laffer1 View Post

The Nvidia binary driver still works in MidnightBSD, at least through 30 series cards. MidnightBSD 3.1.0 is roughly equivalent to FreeBSD 12-stable from a few weeks ago. Most hardware works the same as in FreeBSD up to that point.

(I'm the MidnightBSD project runner)
                    Very cool! I didn't know that! Thank you for correcting me laffer1. I don't know where I learned otherwise but I stand corrected now. Maybe I'll give midnight a try on a spare laptop?

Comment

Working...
                    X