Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS "Open-Source Windows" Steadily Improving x64 Port

Phoronix: ReactOS "Open-Source Windows" Steadily Improving x64 Port

ReactOS is the open-source OS that's striving for Microsoft Windows software and driver binary compatibility that is 25 years in the making. ReactOS has been making steady progress while still considered in alpha form. Most of the ReactOS successes and user tinkering has been with the 32-bit build of the OS while they have been making steady progress recently on the x86_64 (x64) port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I legitimately forget this project exists every now and then.
    I used to be a huge fan of it, but it just does not have the funding. I don't even know where there's getting funding now since their biggest patrons were Russia and we all know what's going on with that now.
    This project is so slow and stagnant and Linux is becoming more and more of a viable alternative to Windows that ReactOS is becoming less of an OS you can actually run and more like FreeDOS where you just use it in an emulator, which is a lot less useful.
    I wish it would get more funding and be a real competitor to Windows, but at this stage is starting to become the next HURD.

Comment

Isn't it waste of time and resources ? how many years it take to reach to the stage of Windows 7 (let's not say Windows 11) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        ...that ReactOS is becoming less of an OS you can actually run and more like FreeDOS where you just use it in an emulator, which is a lot less useful.
        I totally disagree. They should completely focus on being a guest in a VM. By doing so, they just have to support the usual batch of "virtual hardware", like all the virtio devices of qemu. The complexity of this task is by magnitudes lower than supporting physical hardware. No more hassle with self written hardware drivers or ironing out issues with third party drivers.

And, honestly, who is going to run this on bare metal?

Comment

ROS is getting to be pretty nice, I installed it on one of those crappy netbooks awhile ago and it's actually not bad if you can get it to work. I definitely see ROS being a decent route forwards for retro enthusiasts. I also like the industrial potential for this, but ROS certainly isnt ready for that. I have a good number of old games I would like to get working again, and ROS is certainly an option on the table.

though don't get me wrong, accerated graphics in qemu would be phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
            Isn't it waste of time and resources ? how many years it take to reach to the stage of Windows 7 (let's not say Windows 11) ?
            Ok but what is it to you? Does it hurt you? Is it a waste of resources if a person, or a group of people engage in something that they are passionate about?

Comment

IMO the project is gravely held back by not tackling the driver compatibility situation.

Comment

Classic Messi goal against Getafe.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                  Exactly! Just like linux on apple silicon. Mac os is already unix and there is no way in hell linux will be more usefull or even on par on apple silicon with apples own software.

By the time ReactOS is daily driver i would not be even surprised if MS has already switched windows to use linux kernel

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post
                    Mac os is already unix and there is no way in hell linux will be more usefull or even on par on apple silicon with apples own software.
                    One word - Vulkan.

Comment

Working...
                    X