Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Has A Great Start To 2023 With Numerous Accomplishments

Phoronix: FreeBSD Has A Great Start To 2023 With Numerous Accomplishments

This week the FreeBSD project published their Q1-2023 status report that outlines various technical and organization accomplishments made for the past quarter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As someone who regularly does browser benchmarks, what strikes me is that WebXPRT 3 and WebXPRT 4 are the benchmarks that expose the real bottlenecks of a browser and OS the most in a realistic scenario. Here I see that Clear Linux is often significantly faster than other distros, especially in this benchmark. But I also see that FreeBSD usually scores one or two points higher than Clear Linux. Which means that FreeBSD 13.1 is probably the fastest open-source operating system to browse the web with.

I would also like to see Phoronix testing WebXPRT more often in the browser benchmarks. Not in its comparison between Firefox and Chrome, as they usually score similarly in this test. But in a comparison between operating systems, it is one of the most relevant benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post
      WebXPRT 3 and WebXPRT 4 are the benchmarks that expose the real bottlenecks of a browser and OS the most in a realistic scenario
      this is a real world correlation you've noticed? but how

i'm guessing a lot of bottlenecks come from context switching, but it also takes time to mentally context switch so at some point the computer will wait on the user

Comment

Working...
      X