No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12.4-BETA1 Released, Q3-2022 Status Report Issued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We apologize again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked, have been sacked.​

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      We apologize again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked, have been sacked.​
      Monty Python meets FreeBSD? Ministry of BSD walking!

Comment

Scene: A cafe. One table is occupied by a group of FreeBSD devs working on Linux binary compatibility. A Linux user and his Gentoo enter.

Linux user: You sit here, dear.

Gentoo: All right.

Linux user: (to Waitress) Morning!

Waitress: Morning!

Linux user: Well, what've you got?

Waitress: Well, there's llvm and bacon; llvm rust and bacon; llvm and clang; llvm bacon and clang; llvm bacon rust and clang; clang bacon rust and clang; clang llvm clang clang bacon and clang; clang rust clang clang bacon clang tomato and clang;

FreeBSD devs: (starting to chant) clang clang clang clang...

Waitress: ...clang clang clang llvm and clang; clang clang clang clang clang clang baked beans clang clang clang...

FreeBSD devs: (singing) clang! Lovely clang! Lovely clang!

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried llvm on top and clang.

Gentoo: Have you got anything without clang?

Waitress: Well, there's clang llvm rust and clang, that's not got much clang in it.

Gentoo: I don't want ANY clang!

Linux user: Why can't she have llvm bacon clang and rust?

Gentoo: THAT'S got clang in it!

Linux user: Hasn't got as much clang in it as clang llvm rust and clang, has it?

FreeBSD devs: clang clang clang clang (crescendo through next few lines)

Gentoo: Could you do the llvm bacon clang and rust without the clang then?

Waitress: Urgghh!

Gentoo: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like clang!

FreeBSD devs: Lovely clang! Wonderful clang!

Waitress: Shut up!

Waitress: Shut up! (FreeBSD devs stop) Bloody FreeBSD devs! You can't have llvm bacon clang and rust without the clang.

Gentoo: (shrieks) I don't like clang!

Linux user: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your clang. I love it. I'm having clang clang clang clang clang clang clang beaked beans clang clang clang and clang!

FreeBSD devs: (singing) clang clang clang clang. Lovely clang! Wonderful clang!

Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

Linux user: Well could I have her clang instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress: You mean clang clang clang clang clang clang... (but it is too late and the FreeBSD devs drown her words)

FreeBSD devs: (singing elaborately) clang, clang, clang, clang. Lovely clang! Wonderful claaang! Lovely clang! Wonderful clang. Cla-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang! Cla-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang! Cla-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang! Cla-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang! Lovely clang! (Lovely clang!) Lovely clang! (Lovely clang!) Lovely claaang! clang, clang, clang, claaaaang!​​
        Last edited by rmoog; 22 October 2022, 10:50 PM.

Comment

> So what are they going to do missing $1,832,652?

It was often in the past the in last days of the year that massive donations being made.

> What is with companies using FreeBSD like Sony, Apple, Netflix and Co.?! Why can't they together fill the gap?!

What gap?

> I guess that's the consequence of using the "liberal" BSD license. Others will take advantage of your work, but you'll get very little in return.

Did Linux got anything from VMware after VMware used Linux code in VMware ESX(i) and returned NOTHING back? Seems that license is not the only thing needed here ...

> That's what you get for using a cuck license. Sad!

Cuck? Being more free then Linux limited GPL license is Cock? Check your limited freedom standards ...

Summarizing many of these posts .... typical Linux FUD is typical ...

Comment

Originally posted by vermaden View Post
            Yeah, pretty sad. Last time I checked GPL doesn't force companies to donate, and all of the companies mentioned did actually contribute to FreeBSD.

Comment

Last year they had a lofty goal of fundraising too and I didn't think they would make it but they did in the last month of the year. Someone above said large companies don't donate until the end of the year for tax reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Monty Python meets FreeBSD? Ministry of BSD walking!
                Maybe, but in the meantime my hovercraft is still full of eels.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
                  Scene: A cafe. One table is occupied by a group of FreeBSD devs working on Linux binary compatibility. A Linux user and his Gentoo enter.
                  I image a mountain hotel. A group of Linux devs descends to the common lounge. There is a group of Microsoft devs sitting at a table and a lonely FreeBSD dev/user sitting alone in a corner. Another Linuxer just enters the room:

- Come on, guys, make room! I've got some homemade pizza!

Linuxers:

- Oh that's great, thank you so much!

One waves at the MS table:

- Hey guys, you footed our bill last time, come and have some too.

- Thanks boys! By the way we've got some pretty tasty Spaghetti Bolognese in our room, I'll ask the boss if we could give you some too...

- Your boss, you mean that dude who calls us communists and terrorists?

- Nah, he's gone, our current boss thinks you're pretty cool actually. Still, we aren't allowed to share anything without his permission.

FreeBSDer:

- Hey, don't forget me!

Linuxers:

- No worries man, help yourself, you're welcome. You'll just have to carry it to your table.

- What? No, you should be serving me! You people always cook for yourself and you ignore me, that must stop!

Mr FreeBSD bites into his pizza slice...

- Yuuuck, this has chorizo in it! How dare you make chorizo pizza when WE in FreeBSDtown don't like it! You disgust me! I wish you were all dead!

Linuxers:

- [aaaaargh....]

Then to the MS team

- Anyway, next month we'll be having a barbecue, do you want to come? We built a new kind of grill, it will be terrific for our roast but we think it should be great for your sausages too.

- Sure, we'll be there, we can split the cost.

FreeBSDer:

- Wait a minute, and who's going to pay for me?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    I image a mountain hotel. A group of Linux devs descends to the common lounge. There is a group of Microsoft devs sitting at a table and a lonely FreeBSD dev/user sitting alone in a corner. Another Linuxer just enters the room:
                    Is this an original sketch? Mine was based on Monty Python's Spam.

Originally posted by vermaden View Post
                    > So what are they going to do missing $1,832,652?
                    > That's what you get for using a cuck license. Sad!

Cuck? Being more free then Linux limited GPL license is Cock? Check your limited freedom standards ...

​No no no, the word is "cuck", as in short for "cuckold". In a sense, the BSD license is a form of cuckoldry because it denies the original authors profits from their work, much like cuckolding denies someone their significant other's intimacy because somebody else is taking it. See, the GPL prevents this because you are not allowed to make proprietary forks of GPL'd code and you cannot link GPL'd libraries to non-free programs. In GPLv3, freedom is further protected from Tivoization, which the FreeBSD did suffer with Mac OSX and Sony PS3 and future iterations of these products.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post

Linux user: You sit here, dear.

Gentoo: All right.

Linux user: (to Waitress) Morning!

Waitress: Morning!

Linux user: Well, what've you got?

Waitress: Well, there's llvm and bacon; llvm rust and bacon; llvm and clang; llvm bacon and clang; llvm bacon rust and clang; clang bacon rust and clang; clang llvm clang clang bacon and clang; clang rust clang clang bacon clang tomato and clang;

FreeBSD devs: (starting to chant) clang clang clang clang...

Waitress: ...clang clang clang llvm and clang; clang clang clang clang clang clang baked beans clang clang clang...

FreeBSD devs: (singing) clang! Lovely clang! Lovely clang!

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried llvm on top and clang.

Gentoo: Have you got anything without clang?

Waitress: Well, there's clang llvm rust and clang, that's not got much clang in it.

Gentoo: I don't want ANY clang!

Linux user: Why can't she have llvm bacon clang and rust?

Gentoo: THAT'S got clang in it!

Linux user: Hasn't got as much clang in it as clang llvm rust and clang, has it?

FreeBSD devs: clang clang clang clang (crescendo through next few lines)

Gentoo: Could you do the llvm bacon clang and rust without the clang then?

Waitress: Urgghh!

Gentoo: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like clang!

Waitress: Shut up!

Waitress: Shut up! (FreeBSD devs stop) Bloody FreeBSD devs! You can't have llvm bacon clang and rust without the clang.

Gentoo: (shrieks) I don't like clang!

Linux user: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your clang. I love it. I'm having clang clang clang clang clang clang clang beaked beans clang clang clang and clang!

FreeBSD devs: (singing) clang clang clang clang. Lovely clang! Wonderful clang!

Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

Linux user: Well could I have her clang instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress: You mean clang clang clang clang clang clang... (but it is too late and the FreeBSD devs drown her words)

FreeBSD devs: (singing elaborately) clang, clang, clang, clang. Lovely clang! Wonderful claaang! Lovely clang! Wonderful clang. Cla-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang! Cla-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang! Cla-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang! Cla-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang! Lovely clang! (Lovely clang!) Lovely clang! (Lovely clang!) Lovely claaang! clang, clang, clang, claaaaang!​​
                      I think most people here are too young to get the quote

Comment

Working...
                      X