Rust-Written Redox OS 0.7 Released With New Bootloader, RedoxFS Goes CoW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Written Redox OS 0.7 Released With New Bootloader, RedoxFS Goes CoW

Phoronix: Rust-Written Redox OS 0.7 Released With New Bootloader, RedoxFS Goes CoW

Redox OS 0.6 released back for Christmas 2020 while it has now finally been succeeded by Redox OS 0.7 for this Rust-written open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting project. Instead of using "everything is a file" they use "everything is a URI" which seems to make more sense and be a better approach.

Comment

I have some questions... How does it handle gui? Is it an Xorg server like Linux and the *BSDs or is it something custom like Haiku? How usable is this as a daily driver OS? I really like OpenBSD as a secure OS that is usable as a daily driver but with shortcomings (limited packages, no wine, no Linux compatibility anymore), and Reddox seems even cooler but it also seems a bit like a toy project and maybe not ready for daily driving yet especially since this is version 0.7. Does anyone actually use Reddox as a daily driver? Is it more like driving NetBSD or OpenBSD or more like trying to drive GNU HURD?

EDIT: From the Reddox book: "Redox isn't currently going to replace your existing OS, but it's a fun thing to try; boot Redox on your computer, and see what works."
      Last edited by kylew77; 29 April 2022, 06:10 AM. Reason: Found part of an answer in a book online...

Comment

I'm so jealous for that Ryzen 5950X lol

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Interesting project. Instead of using "everything is a file" they use "everything is a URI" which seems to make more sense and be a better approach.
          Imagine all settings are passed with the URL

Comment

this focus on "everything written in rust" even the title reminds me of sectarian behaviors
            the rust community is weird, tying everything down to a language, as if the products don't even matter at all, worse than scientologists

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
              this focus on "everything written in rust" even the title reminds me of sectarian behaviors
              the rust community is weird, tying everything down to a language, as if the products don't even matter at all, worse than scientologists
              Nothing sectarian about it, this is just proof of capability. I imagine during Redox's development, a number of Rust shortcoming were discovered and reported back.
              A lot of people still see Rust as a fad, yet Rust keeps going places.

Comment

By this measure the Linux Kernel and Wine would be "guilty" too.

Rust is a very promising language. Basically we have C and C++ which are very powerful but they do have issues. Languages like Java tried to tackle those issues on the cost of performance. But this is the problem why java is non existent in certain fields - simply its way to slow.

Python nowadays is very useful too, but impractical to write close to hardware code.

With Rust you will have both performance and memory safety plus the syntax is already incooperating new concepts which are difficult to set up with C++/C.

IMHO C++ is a still very fine language but the newer concepts are making the code almost unreadable (if you are not a die hard C++ programmer). C by it self is still solid but lacks a lot of the nice features of modern languages.

The "Rust only" is a kind of paradigm to show what this language is capable of doing. Rust might be the language which is demanded by a lot of devs since years.
                Fast, reliable and secure.
                Last edited by CochainComplex; 29 April 2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

By this measure the Linux Kernel and Wine would be "guilty" too.

Rust is a very promising language. Basically we have C and C++ which are very powerful but they do have issues. Languages like Java tried to tackle those issues on the cost of performance. But this is the problem why java is non existent in certain fields - its simply slow.

With Rust you will have both performance and memory safety plus the syntax already incooperates new concepts which are difficult to set up with C++/C.

IMHO C++ is a still very fine language but the never concepts are making the code almost unreadable if you are not a die hard C++ programmer. C by it self is still solid but lacks a lot of the nice features of modern languages.

The "Rust only" is a kind of paradigm to show what this language is capable of doing. Rust might be the language which is demanded by a lot of devs since years.
                  Fast, reliable and secure.
                  Reminds me of that pick two because you won't get all three saying.

Wait, we get to pick all three here? What's the catch?

Anytime you speak they're all gonna ask when you'll rewrite it in Rust. If you can manage not to commit a murder within the first three weeks of discussing Rust on the Internet you may have a future with the Rust Programming Language.

Comment

LOL, welcome to Unix.

Comment

Working...
                    X