Haiku OS Continues Making Progress On RISC-V, Adds Stack Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Did we read the same thread? I remember people being much more negative and nitpicky. "didn't like it" is putting it mildly for some, when some people were saying things like it was the worst UI change in FF history (and got a lot of upvotes, suggesting others reflect the same viewpoint), or other ways of expressing strong disagreement. Sure, some design choices weren't great, but none of themwere bad enough to get all sensationalist about it. But that's my point: people freak out over something that really isn't [much] worse, just simply different, and all they have to do is give it a chance. I don't see how you can really give something a chance in less than a day of using it, particularly when none of the changes were that drastic.
    Everyone is nitpicky on a UI thread. As nitpicky as people were, I though just as many people were offering up solutions to their problems. There were also a few people posting who liked it.

I think the problem is a few bad apples being overly negative can make all posts criticizing something seem overly negative too.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

"Prejudice is a great time saver.‭ ‬You can form opinions without having to get the facts.‭" -- ‬E.‭ ‬B.‭ ‬White
      That reminds me of one of my friends asking my Dad how come he was so racist and wondering why he didn't like gangster rap. "....I just don't get it. You like to drink, you smoke weed, you're always talking about crime you'd like to do or have done, always talking about your prison time, always hating on police. If you ended that word with A instead of ER you'd sound like a rap album." Which really pissed my Dad off....but it's so true.

Comment

Haiku has great potential, but without proper GPU accelerated desktop it will die. They need to focus work on the graphics stack instead of just going for the low hanging fruit. A lot of OS project have come and gone and one of the main reason their gone is they didn't put enough work into getting the graphics stack working.

Comment

Originally posted by shanedav4 View Post
          Haiku has great potential, but without proper GPU accelerated desktop it will die. They need to focus work on the graphics stack instead of just going for the low hanging fruit. A lot of OS project have come and gone and one of the main reason their gone is they didn't put enough work into getting the graphics stack working.
          Why would Haiku need a GPU accelerated desktop when the desktop is already so damn fast and smooth that it blows almost any other desktop away? The only place where GPU acceleration is needed in Haiku is in the browser so that YouTube videos play more smoothly on higher resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            * complain about default settings even though they could be easily changed. All this does is say how superficial, impatient, and willfully ignorant you are.
            When the defaults don't fit a minority, this point is valid.

However, when the defaults don't fit the majority (say, at least 70%) then the ignorant ones are the developers.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              When the defaults don't fit a minority, this point is valid.

However, when the defaults don't fit the majority (say, at least 70%) then the ignorant ones are the developers.
              It's not that simple. There have been countless times where a better product, feature, or way of going about something was rejected, simply because a majority didn't like to leave their comfort zones. Most people don't know what's best for them (I'm no exception), and I find the ones who are the least willing to listen or try are the ones who are the most uninformed. And I get it - the unfamiliar is scary, and fear triggers us to attack things. Think of it like this:
              Imagine a country that does something better than yours. It seems so obvious and feasible, but the people of your country likely prevent change.
              Imagine a product you were excited about, maybe one that would spark a new technological era, but nobody wanted to buy it.
              Imagine all the times you bought something that came with a feature you thought was a stupid gimmick, but ended up really liking it.
              That's why I brought up the ribbon bar example, because that was a case of an improvement that seemingly the majority of people didn't like (at first), but it was actually an improvement, people just refused to acknowledge it.

The part where I draw the line is whether or not the change was necessary. Is the change entirely superficial? Does the change slow people down, even if they got used to it? Does the change cause regressions? These are the sorts of things where devs can become out-of-touch

Defying what the majority wants is often how you make progress.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 05 June 2021, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X