No announcement yet.

NVIDIA, Intel Post New Windows 10 Graphics Drivers For WSL2 Linux App Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS is starting to be aware of Proton (with everything that is inside of it). Do they want developers to use dx under linux too and force the rest of linux community so adopt dx due to these developers? its still a wonder for me why devs use dx12 instead of vulkan these days since dx12 is available only on w10 and graphic cards that support it are fewer than the ones that support vulkan

Comment

I actually think this is nice. Hopefully more devs will now target Linux since it runs on Windows anyway (no need for Windows builds anymore). Running Linux Apps with a GUI on Windows is pretty sweet, I'm sure this will bring more people to FOSS tools.

Comment

yea like me, lazy to dual boot. when shall this work? steam games would count as linux though?

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
          ...Which leaves AMD as the only option for Open Source and Linux enthusiasts.
          As a matter of fact, between Intel's security deficient CPUs and Nvidia's expensive RTX line-up, I would avoid both even if I was running Win10.
          AMD processors have security holes too. So does ARM. They all do, because they use fake "AI" tricks to predict what you want and prefetch it before offering it up. It's how modern chips are done. They're not made with raw processing power in mind anymore. The Broadcom SoC's in the Raspberry Pi don't have branch prediction, so they're largely immune to the majority of security threats affecting the other chips. But of course they're terribly slow too. Security and performance are at opposite ends of the pole.

Also, if you're really that concerned with security, Windows 10 wouldn't be an ideal operating system to use, so your statement is moot.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            MS is starting to be aware of Proton (with everything that is inside of it). Do they want developers to use dx under linux too and force the rest of linux community so adopt dx due to these developers? its still a wonder for me why devs use dx12 instead of vulkan these days since dx12 is available only on w10 and graphic cards that support it are fewer than the ones that support vulkan
            If game developers are already primarily targeting Windows (let's be honest here: most gamers are using Windows 10 now) and Xbox, adding DX support for Linux just means porting game code is easier.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post
              I actually think this is nice. Hopefully more devs will now target Linux since it runs on Windows anyway (no need for Windows builds anymore). Running Linux Apps with a GUI on Windows is pretty sweet, I'm sure this will bring more people to FOSS tools.
              Windows 10 goes EOL in 5 years. What will be the replacement? Perhaps Microsoft Winux?*

*I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a trademark on WinUX because they like using the term "User Experiences".

Comment

Originally posted by sebastianlacuesta View Post

3dfx
                With full open source support.
                Lotta good it did them. What have they been doing lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post

Lotta good it did them. What have they been doing lately?
                  They were so lame Nvidia bought them for 55 million dollars in order to use their patents and learn how to make a decent GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post

They were so lame Nvidia bought them for 55 million dollars in order to use their patents and learn how to make a decent GPU.
                    Right: patents. Not their openness.

And Riva chips were better than what 3dfx was cranking out at the time too.

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post
                      And Riva chips were better than what 3dfx was cranking out at the time too.
                      I really am not convinced at all. Back in the Riva days, 3dfx was the clear winner.
                      It's when the Geforce 256 and the Radeon got released supporting T&L (and 3dfx failed to retaliate) that things changed.
                      But according to Tim Sweeney himself, 3dfx still had a higher texture rate than Geforce 256 at least, but that's another story.
                      Anyway, with Geforce 2 and 3, Nvidia caught up with ATI, but did not quite match the Radeon 8500.
                      Then, Geforce 4 got crushed by Radeon 9000 series. That's when they decided to buy 3dfx and release the "FX" series. But poor FX 5800 still got crushed by ATI's Radeon 9800, which was a freaking monster. At that time, Radeon GPUs already had optimised tesselation and FSAA.

Comment

Working...
                      X