Valve Updates Steam Survey Data For April With A Slight Linux Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

In Ubuntu it is. I can't remember if it ask about enabling proprietary driver during install though. But enabling one would take around three or four clicks.
    I can't remember that this was working with my T1000 ... rather troublesome encounter even with 18.04...The only distro getting it (hybrid mode) done at the moment out of the box is pop os 20.04. Im really pleased ATM.

recompiling xanmod + mesa + dxvk for my navi was easy compared to the nvidia struggles. Just works might have been <18.04 and old nvidias but now since Kernels 5.0+ it is not so nice anymore.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 02 May 2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

OMG, Microsoft is now complying with laws and could act to save lives! Bastards!
      Yeah, they will save you from your private files that can kill your dog. Ps. This 'privacy' statement is good for exhibitionists, so I recommend you put your private files in some private folder, so M$ will access it and then maybe someone will have a good time.

Ps.2 Such laws were applicable to online services as far as I remember, but if you want to extend such enforcement to private computers then I can only say you're a slave.

Ps.3 It's not a law.
      Last edited by Volta; 02 May 2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Valve will not solve the following issues with Linux:
        • No standard GUI tools for overclocking/underclocking and monitoring neither for NVIDIA, nor for AMD
        • Most anti-cheat protections fail to run/work under Linux/Wine
        • No standard GUI tools to monitor in-game performance (CPU/GPU/RAM usage HUDs)
        • No advanced features like NVIDIA FreeStyle, low-latency input, FPS limiting, half VSync refresh rate, etc. etc. etc. etc.
        • No GUI tools for monitor overclocking. Currently you have to edit text files by trial and error and run cryptic commands to be able to achieve that.
        • Performance/smoothness/stuttering issues due to the sheer difference between Win32 APIs/Direct3D and Linux APIs/Vulkan.
        Forget about quality gaming experience under Linux. Won't happen any time soon. And add Wayland/Xorg wars to the mix.

Proton/Wine are OK'ish for casual gaming. They won't make Linux a proper OS for hardcore gamers or even people who really love computer games.
        Two things off the top of my head:[*] Valve is cooperating with AntiCheat vendors to make their products run on Proton. It won't be fast, but I would expect something to come out of it[*] MangoHUD is capable of showing hardware usage on a HUD: https://github.com/flightlessmango/MangoHud

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          And add Wayland/Xorg wars to the mix.
          Xorg is old and is on life support, whereas Wayland is the replacement. There's no war.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I can't remember that this was working with my T1000 ... rather troublesome encounter even with 18.04...The only distro getting it (hybrid mode) done at the moment out of the box is pop os 20.04. Im really pleased ATM.

recompiling xanmod + mesa + dxvk for my navi was easy compared to the nvidia struggles. Just works might have been <18.04 and old nvidias but now since Kernels 5.0+ it is not so nice anymore.
            Don't have laptop with hybrid graphics to test that. My K3000M on HP8770w worked like a charm with both 16.04 and 18.04.
            Unlike setting up cuda with NVIDIA trying to get ROCm working on Fedora was a real pain though...

Comment

If anyone wants to see a little history and how it's trending, been tracking it here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/steam-tracker/

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Flatpak will solve problems with installing new stuff and it will be easier to bring proprietary applications that prefer different versions of selected stack. All of this in sandboxed environment. You can always check your outgoing connections and there are even more ways to secure your system. Flatpak will also help in this case.
                Yeah, no, I've heard the same when repositories were introduced.

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                I'm not responsible for corporate stupidity, so I don't care if there were such court cases. If they accepted EULA they agreed with this, so they wouldn't won a single case. However, there's something better:

https://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-1...ow-to-opt-out/

The above is from M$ 'privacy' statement.
                That is not exactly about corporate... as no self respecting corporation would use MS public accounts instead of domain's.

You also have not specified how you can prevent disto builders from introducing whatever spyware? Realistically, unless you control the whole chain from source audit to packaging and distribution you can't. And in the end with distros it all comes to trust, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
                  Yeah, no, I've heard the same when repositories were introduced.
                  I doubt, because there were never such promises.

That is not exactly about corporate... as no self respecting corporation would use MS public accounts instead of domain's.
                  It was about M$ OS, so if you don't understand then don't ask.

You also have not specified how you can prevent disto builders from introducing whatever spyware? Realistically, unless you control the whole chain from source audit to packaging and distribution you can't. And in the end with distros it all comes to trust, plain and simple.
                  Except, I did?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

By standard, you're assuming that there is a specific tool on Windows versus multiple?

On Linux
                    Overclock and monitor tools:

* GreenWithEnvy (Nvidia)
                    * WattmanGTK (AMD)
                    * CoreCtrl (AMD)

Easy Anti Cheat and BattlEye work for native Linux games just not Wine games. That doesn't mean you cannot play anti-cheat enabled Windows games using only a Linux computer with no physical access to a Windows machine:

* Stadia Pro has PUBG and Destiny 2 (among others) included with the Pro membership. Don't forget to install the Stadia+ browser extension.
                    * GeForce Now supports PUBG, Destiny 2, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Battlefield, so on. You can use GeForce Now on Linux with my tool:

* MangoHud, DXVK HUD, and Mesa Gallium HUD?
                    MangoHud is getting a lot of attention these days. I tried it out myself and it works nicely, though I usually end up disabling HUDs since I don't really want to see them.

* vkBasalt to add Post processing effects to Vulkan / DXVK games and VibranceGUI Nvidia and it's AMD variant for color and brightness adjustment.

* True Windows games on Linux can have some stuttering. I think this is mostly due to how DXVK compiles shaders and caches them. That said, after running games for several minutes on different levels, the shaders get compiled and the stuttering mostly goes away. Valve sponsored technologies like Fsync, Esync, RADV ACO shader compiler back-end are suppose to further help with this.

* I didn't realize monitor refresh-rate overclocking was a thing. That's actually pretty cool and I want to try it out on my 60 Hz panel to see if it can do better. Thanks for sharing.
                    Which part of the word GUI you don't understand?

Do you really expect gamers to learn all this crap when in Windows they can run MSI Afterburner/HWiNFO64 and standard drivers applets/configurators and be done with everything? At most, just two tools: MSI Afterburner and Graphics Drivers Control Panels. That's it! Everything is extremely simple/made for literal idiots! Everything just works!

What you've just offered is a hack on top of a hack (oh, and they often either don't work, or break spectacularly, or become unsupported/removed) which require editing configuration files, breaking your head why something doesn't really work and why you need to compile Mesa git to get the required features. You must be insane to believe anyone would want to eat this crap when Windows license can be bought for $10.

And what's worse, most of your hacks aren't even offered by default by any Linux distro out there. God, you need to check your head. Spend literally days finding solutions for Linux when you can buy Windows for $10 and run everything at a native speed without any compatibility issues and without waiting for some magical corporation to make anti-cheat solutions work.

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post

Xorg is old and is on life support, whereas Wayland is the replacement. There's no war.
                    I see it this way: Xorg just works for 99.9% of people and situations out there, while Wayland is still in a shaky state and it's loved by the users with very special needs (like those who have monitors with varying DPI).

Life support or not I wonder why Wayland fanboys are obsessed with something being actively developed. Do you know this magical word: "complete"? You don't need to pour work into something if it meets your demands/needs. There are hundreds of app/libraries in Linux which work perfectly and are NOT actively developed. No one says all those apps/libs are "on life support". God, Linux fanboys need to check their heads sometimes.

Oh, and Wine/Proton don't yet support Wayland natively.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

No longer true. Nvidia is terribad on Linux recently and AMD drivers finally mostly caught up. I've been exclusively on Nvidia in the past years due to AMD drivers being total shite but right now it's AMD all the way, from CPU to GPU.

You can't even get proper 2d accel going with Nvidia, not to mention other issues.
                      Tell that my RX5700 which still misbehaves in the most unusual ways. I'd say the Navi support is still mediocre.

Comment

Working...
                      X