Valve Updates Steam Survey Data For April With A Slight Linux Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Updates Steam Survey Data For April With A Slight Linux Increase

Phoronix: Valve Updates Steam Survey Data For April With A Slight Linux Increase

Valve has published their Steam Survey results for April, which is the first full month where the US and still much of the world has been in lockdown over the coronavirus, and thus interesting to see how it has impacted the gamer metrics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Radeon RX 480 remains the most popular followed by the GeForce GTX 1060.
    Um, what? All I see is RX 580 in a distant tenth place. The first nine are firmly occupied by NVIDIA. And place 18 is the next most popular AMD GPU which is RX 570. Overall, gamers prefer NVIDIA for a reason.

Comment

Well, Valve should just continue to improve WINE, DXVK, Proton to work with more windows games flawlessly, without needing tweaks.
      A bit of help for desktop environments like KDE Plasmal to be more game ready would be very nice also like with the low-latency fork and Wayland work.
      This DE seems to me that it has the best chance to welcome new users of Linux coming from Windows.
      More people will come when they get tired of the crap Microsoft is pulling with Windows 10.

If I would've managed to get earlier GTA IV to work I would've spent more time playing in Linux, but yesterday was the first time that I finally saw it opening and I could play.
      I'm now very happy about this!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Um, what? All I see is RX 580 in a distant tenth place. The first nine are firmly occupied by NVIDIA. And place 18 is the next most popular AMD GPU which is RX 570. Overall, gamers prefer NVIDIA for a reason.
        ...and what is that reason?

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          the Intel CPU percentage pulled back another pecent now down to 72.69% against AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            More people will come when they get tired of the crap Microsoft is pulling with Windows 10.
            That will never happen unless Windows went bye bye (or Linux happened to be on every computer along with Windows, etc some similar situation like with Windows Linux subsystem.). You must be one of those Linux users that is stuck 20 years ago and still tooting the same horn. Some will but not most.

I will not reply to this lol.
            Last edited by ix900; 02 May 2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

No longer true. Nvidia is terribad on Linux recently and AMD drivers finally mostly caught up. I've been exclusively on Nvidia in the past years due to AMD drivers being total shite but right now it's AMD all the way, from CPU to GPU.

You can't even get proper 2d accel going with Nvidia, not to mention other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

...and what is that reason?
                Quality rich stable drivers with almost no bugs and quality products. Personally I've never had a single issue with NVIDIA under Windows since Windows 2000. Under Windows 9X there were issues but the OS overall wasn't stable at all due to missing memory protection and proper multitasking.

You probably don't run Windows out of bigotry but since gamers obviously prefer Windows, tell me, where should I find gamma and brightness controls for individual RGB channels, and gamma for all channels? These are the basic features even available in Intel GPU drivers but not available for AMD.

Also, you won't believe it but many players love FreeStyle filters available in NVIDIA drivers. You can turn a bland game with low contrast which can cause huge eye strain, into something very appealing and pleasant.

Um, and I'm now rocking RX 5600 XT which frankly I hate. With the fan stop feature it heats up to 59C just by browsing the web. The NVIDIA GTX 1060 I had previously ran at smooth 43C. 7nm vs 16nm. Go figure. Um, and I even forced maximum power saving mode for this AMD card to no avail - still heats up to 55C. Overall a disaster and I cannot return it in this country due to our laws which mostly protect the retailer, not the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

No longer true. Nvidia is terribad on Linux recently and AMD drivers finally mostly caught up. I've been exclusively on Nvidia in the past years due to AMD drivers being total shite but right now it's AMD all the way, from CPU to GPU.

You can't even get proper 2d accel going with Nvidia, not to mention other issues.
                  What's no longer true? Steam stats? Have you followed the link? LMAO. 2D acceleration doesn't work on NVIDIA? How? Why? I ran GTX 1060 with Linux for four years - didn't have any issues with it. None. Nada. Zilch.

Comment

scroll down the page a bit, I think he's referring to linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X