No announcement yet.

Microsoft Talks Up The Concept Of Panes, Tab Reordering For Windows Terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 and the biggest innovation @Microsoft is finally a useable Terminal. Sad or funny?
    Last edited by rene; 29 November 2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Meanwhile Docker support on WSL is months away unless you join windows insider and enable telemetry, no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        2019 and the biggest innovation @Microsoft is finally wo useable Terminal. Sad or funny?
        What are you talking about?
        Microsoft is doing so much, they are the largest contributor to open source, and doing lots of interesting things such as Blazor.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Split view is kinda rare even on Linux, since Gnome's FM abandoned it and XFCE's never had it.
          Advance features takes effort and time, so this makes sense to me.

Konqueror was ahead of time in this regard. I think this was working in ~2000 maybe 1999. https://etutorials.org/shared/images...08/05fig05.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

What are you talking about?
            Microsoft is doing so much, they are the largest contributor to open source, and doing lots of interesting things such as Blazor.
            Don't be a fool. We had a open source OS, compiler, windowing system, office, browser, etc. aka everything before. Microsoft is one of the most evil and hostile companies on earth. They only do OpenSource to secure their future money grabbing monopoly business. Linux or any open source did not need M$ to come a long and try to take things back and over.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Why are they "talking it up" instead of just doing it? I don't get it.
              We're talking about for-profit corporation which still makes most if it's money by selling proprietary software and that's how you do it in that business. You don't develop anything in the open, you develop it internally, then present it to the world as some super revolutionary or handy feature and then once the hype's died down you release it to the public, or cancel it altogether.

The reason why you release it once the hype's died down is that if it turns out to be crap or if they cancel it, like they did with the tabbed explorer window, then most people simply won't notice or care. I wish that I was kidding about the tabbed explorer window, but with the adaptable menu bar and applications being able to change it, turns out that it just wasn't possible to make it tabbed without breaking a huge amount of software.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Advance features takes effort and time, so this makes sense to me.

Konqueror was ahead of time in this regard. I think this was working in ~2000 maybe 1999. https://etutorials.org/shared/images...08/05fig05.jpg
                Ahead of its time? Directory Opus on Amiga OS supported split view long before Konqueror.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemerian View Post

They are already working on it.
                  Windows 10X needs a modern file explorer, and they officially said they will use it.
                  Apparently not, match abandoned due to flooding

https://www.howtogeek.com/411932/win...s-are-no-more/

Unless somebody knows differently.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Why are they "talking it up" instead of just doing it? I don't get it.
                    It has been released already.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Apparently not, match abandoned due to flooding

https://www.howtogeek.com/411932/win...s-are-no-more/

Unless somebody knows differently.
                      Sets is another thing.

I'm talking about the explorer itself.

In the past few years, Microsoft focused a little bit more on updating the existing experience of traditional File Explorer. Windows 10 November 2019 Update, for example, will make significant improvements to the File Explorer’s built-in search functionality. Similarly, the last year’s update to Windows 10 brought a dark theme for Explorer that aligns with […]

Comment

Working...
                      X