No announcement yet.

Microsoft Talks Up The Concept Of Panes, Tab Reordering For Windows Terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Talks Up The Concept Of Panes, Tab Reordering For Windows Terminal

Phoronix: Microsoft Talks Up The Concept Of Panes, Tab Reordering For Windows Terminal

This week Microsoft released Windows Terminal Preview 0.7 with some groundbreaking features... Well compared to Command Prompt and the existing PowerShell terminal, but capabilities many Linux terminal emulators have offered for years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

**Extend**

With panes being added to Windows Terminal, they have embraced a concept that we long had on Linux by using tmux or similar terminal emulator.
    Now let me guess: they're gonna allow changing the font size per-pane, or even tile in unlimited ways.

Comment

Why are they "talking it up" instead of just doing it? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Why are they "talking it up" instead of just doing it? I don't get it.
        They've probably done the work already, and are going to release at some point in the future. I mean, companies talk up changes to their software all the time, well before the public can experience it.

Comment

Following the EEE strategy, after adopting the terminal, they now need to add unique yet proprietary functions, which they dont open source and therefore stay unique to Microsoft. I wonder what that could be. Maybe they make exiting vim easier

Comment

Urgh, just tried this again. When you go to Settings, it just opens some XML for you to edit. There isn't any right click menu yet either.

Fecking useless

Comment

Never mind terminal, when will they do something with that pile of shite file manager windows explorer that's stuck in the dark ages by adding tabs or split view like KDE's dolphin ?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                Never mind terminal, when will they do something with that pile of shite file manager windows explorer that's stuck in the dark ages by adding tabs or split view like KDE's dolphin ?
                AFAIK they already have the tabs function. Split view is kinda rare even on Linux, since Gnome's FM abandoned it and XFCE's never had it.

Comment

Yeah, tabs and panes are nice and all, but when they will start to offer ads on the terminal:

JavaScript community's negative reaction to recent experiment kills potential avenue for funding open-source projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                    They are already working on it.
                    Windows 10X needs a modern file explorer, and they officially said they will use it.

Comment

Working...
                    X