Netflix Is An Example Of A Great Open-Source Corporate Patron To FreeBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

If you want to be proprietary whore you're FREE to do so. I will never use stupid licenses like BSD which allow to steal the code from developers and aid competition. BSD is a leech license. Linux, proprietary systems can take what they want from BSD and BSD reaction is like: oh, I'm glad you found this useful. I'm your servant and I don't demand anything.
    So who is the leach here. The way you describe it the Linux folks are the leaches.

that is using your words but I really don’t think you understand freedom. GPL 3 takes away far too much freedom from developers in exchange for absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
      "Netflix" "Great" and "Open" in the same sentence. Seriously ? Until they stop using DRM, they will NEVER be "Great" and "Open" !
      Realistically they can’t stop using DRM. Their content would be stolen at such a rate that they could not stay in business. It really is that simple and frankly anyone of reasonable intelligence would understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Realistically they can’t stop using DRM. Their content would be stolen at such a rate that they could not stay in business. It really is that simple and frankly anyone of reasonable intelligence would understand this.
        And yet, all their content is free from other sources almost as soon as Netflix puts it up. No, what you are saying is untrue. DRM is not the reason they are in business. The reason they are in business is convenience. Besides, they will ultimately fail with or without DRM. They will fail as surely as Blockbuster and MySpace failed, as others are already dreaming up ways to provide content cheaper, faster, and more conveniently and knock them off their throne. Saying that we should give up property rights because it would cause a business to fail is silly when that business is doomed to eventual failure anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          And yet, all their content is free from other sources almost as soon as Netflix puts it up. No, what you are saying is untrue. DRM is not the reason they are in business. The reason they are in business is convenience. Besides, they will ultimately fail with or without DRM. They will fail as surely as Blockbuster and MySpace failed, as others are already dreaming up ways to provide content cheaper, faster, and more conveniently and knock them off their throne. Saying that we should give up property rights because it would cause a business to fail is silly when that business is doomed to eventual failure anyway.
          No one is asking you to give up property rights at all. Rather DRM is there to encourage people to respect property rights. Seriously the owner of copyrighted materials has been well understood since the creation of the country!!! You don’t buy a book and get rights to that content for commercial purposes.

the material Netflix offered is copyrighted by the creators, often this isn’t Netflix, and licensed to be offered through their service. The license has the same legal weight as GPL, BSD or any other legally negotiated contract. You as a Netflix viewer don’t own the content due to those licenses.

the same sort of issues are at play as people try to defend some of these open source licenses. GPL effectively takes away more rights from the authors then many realize. That is why there is still a strong interest in BSD. What I find idiotic is the idea that people want to make their code open and then use the GPL to actually prevent people from using that code. There is no software freedom with the GPL. With BSD I can morph anything in any way I like and share it as I like - that is real freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            I think he means a free subscription *to* Netflix. None that I know of.

Regarding PCT, isn't it piracy? Not judging, but I wouldn't count it as a free Netflix if that's the case.
            PopCornTime is an application that either streams (downloads sequentially) or caches torrents, so yeah it's piracy.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              No one is asking you to give up property rights at all. Rather DRM is there to encourage people to respect property rights. Seriously the owner of copyrighted materials has been well understood since the creation of the country!!! You don’t buy a book and get rights to that content for commercial purposes.

the material Netflix offered is copyrighted by the creators, often this isn’t Netflix, and licensed to be offered through their service. The license has the same legal weight as GPL, BSD or any other legally negotiated contract. You as a Netflix viewer don’t own the content due to those licenses.

the same sort of issues are at play as people try to defend some of these open source licenses. GPL effectively takes away more rights from the authors then many realize. That is why there is still a strong interest in BSD. What I find idiotic is the idea that people want to make their code open and then use the GPL to actually prevent people from using that code. There is no software freedom with the GPL. With BSD I can morph anything in any way I like and share it as I like - that is real freedom.
              You are rambling on about nothing. I already stated in my last post that everything Netfllix puts up is free almost immediately from people that are recording it and sharing it, so the whole idea of DRM somehow protecting Netflix's copyright is silly. I also stated multiple times that I don't watch TV or movies, so it's not about my right to free shows. It's about a degradation of the American legal standard of what constitutes ownership once you buy a work to enjoy it.

Comment

The funny thing is that nothing prevents Netflix behaving exactly the same using Linx kernel and GNU/Linux distribution - they would still not break any license agreements and coditions. Kudos for contributing back to the community!

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  I think he means a free subscription *to* Netflix. None that I know of.

Regarding PCT, isn't it piracy? Not judging, but I wouldn't count it as a free Netflix if that's the case.
                  Doesn't matter what you or I think of it as, since we don't use it. The fact is that it's widely known as the "free Netflix", and people are using it that way. Whether it meets some legal definition of piracy in certain jurisdictions is beside the point of people using it that way. If you ask ten younger people if there's a free Netflix, probably 8 to 10 of them are going to say it's PopcornTime.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybmax View Post
                    There is nothing more fun than reading ANY linux related forum (save for getting a triple rootcanal i guess) when it comes to finding ways to talk trash about everything.

If ALL block-buster movies were totally free, on free computers you would get FOR FREE, running FREE linux, with FREE monitors and what the f.. not, i am 110% sure some linux forum would overflow with "Meh.. shitty hardware.. if only the manufacturers had the wits to charge for their stuff, they could actually make good shit!"

Seriously.. Netflix is IMO the greatest LEAP in the right direction of having available entertainment. Lots of their own created series and movies are great... And ppl blame Netflix cos the moviecompanies still live in the -80'ies and would rather sell DVD's for $100 a pop?

Christ, Linux ppl are definitively the crowd that can find crap with ANY aspect of ANYTHING. All things have some crap attached.. there is NEVER such a thing as "free", even tho you like to think it is.
                    I can't imagine worse time waste than watching Netflix series.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

I can't imagine worse time waste than watching Netflix series.
                      Well, that is mostly true these days. Only a few of them are really awesome, the rest are pure crap.

But most of the really best series are coming from HBO and Amazon Studios these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X