No announcement yet.

Netflix Is An Example Of A Great Open-Source Corporate Patron To FreeBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companies understand Open Source now and they do realize the value of upstreaming their changes so they don't have to maintain patch sets. This makes FreeBSD much more business friendly than Linux. True some people will "steal code" but there is huge risk and costs associated with doing that. If you're short sighted you may be like juniper and unable to take advantage of netflix's improvements because you're stuck on a forked version of FreeBSD 8. "Stealing code" is what fools do, it works great for one release then you're F'ed.

And.. is production enterprise Linux *really* open source? There is so much proprietary components you need to have when you use it in production. How "free and open" really is RHEL and a proprietary app on top?
    Last edited by k1e0x; 05 November 2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      There are many valid criticisms to liberal licenses, but "stealing code from developers" is not one of them.
      They give away their code with a liberal license, they're fully aware derivatives may not be released, and choose to give users the freedom to decide.
      Stealing code would be using a GPL project as a base and then not releasing the modified code, because the developers decided that was the condition to use and it was not respected.
      Of course it's not stealing in exact meaning. The more proper word is exploit, but they willingly agree to this.
      Last edited by Volta; 05 November 2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
        Companies understand Open Source now and they do realize the value of upstreaming their changes so they don't have to maintain patch sets. This makes FreeBSD much more business friendly than Linux.
        What exactly makes FreeBSD more business friendly? I thought it's the same on Linux, because companies upstream their changes.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Well then, as long as you are entertained, I guess it doesn't matter that the world gets bogged down in a DRM nightmare where private ownership rights are destroyed for profit. We should all just shut up and let you get back to your important TV viewing.
          Copyright must also be protected, when it is real!

Comment

Originally posted by Cybmax View Post
            If ALL block-buster movies were totally free, on free computers you would get FOR FREE, running FREE linux, with FREE monitors and what the f.. not
            none is talking about getting stuff for free. DRM does not prevent in any way, shape or form people getting stuff "for free".

People that have issues with DRM here have issues with paying for something and not truly owning it.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
              Companies understand Open Source now and they do realize the value of upstreaming their changes so they don't have to maintain patch sets. This makes FreeBSD much more business friendly than Linux. True some people will "steal code" but there is huge risk and costs associated with doing that. If you're short sighted you may be like juniper and unable to take advantage of netflix's improvements because you're stuck on a forked version of FreeBSD 8. "Stealing code" is what fools do, it works great for one release then you're F'ed.
              Then you steal the code for the next? FreeBSD development isn't particularly fast, you can easy port whatever to the next release without upstreaming.

Linux development speed on the other hand...

And.. is production enterprise Linux *really* open source? There is so much proprietary components you need to have when you use it in production. How "free and open" really is RHEL and a proprietary app on top?
              Mostly userspace "easy management" things, that are derivatives of their own opensource projects afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                So this is my excuse to upgrade to Netflix Premium. Thanks Michael
                Is there a free version of netflix?

Comment

Originally posted by pruzinat View Post

Is there a free version of netflix?
                  PopcornTime. Or so I've heard. As I said earlier, I don't own a TV or watch Hollywood movies or shows anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    PopcornTime. Or so I've heard. As I said earlier, I don't own a TV or watch Hollywood movies or shows anyway.
                    I think he means a free subscription *to* Netflix. None that I know of.

Regarding PCT, isn't it piracy? Not judging, but I wouldn't count it as a free Netflix if that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

What exactly makes FreeBSD more business friendly? I thought it's the same on Linux, because companies upstream their changes.
                      Simply.. A company does not have to worry if they are complaint with the GPL. They have the option to upstream or not as they see fit. Imagine how this would have affected TiVO.

If they want to be smart they will upstream, because if they steal they will have to hire their own OS development team, their own OS security team on top of the developers they have now.. of course.. they are free to do so.. if their "secret sauce" is so important.. but FreeBSD provides those people free of charge if they upstream. Sure they *might* be able to implement patches from the project... for a while.. but eventually their fork will become too large and too difficult to maintain.

We can work together.. or you can keep the broken bits. Your choice.
                      Last edited by k1e0x; 05 November 2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X