No announcement yet.

Apple macOS 10.15 vs. Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes, so much butthurt. I imagine medical staff are going to be working overtime tonight...

On a serious note, these benchmarks make me more confused as to why Apple chose to make Safari based on Chrome. Not only was doing that basically allying with their enemy, but, Firefox's engine appears to run better (at least relative to other OSes; hard to tell side-by-side with Chrome).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      On a serious note, these benchmarks make me more confused as to why Apple chose to make Safari based on Chrome. Not only was doing that basically allying with their enemy, but, Firefox's engine appears to run better (at least relative to other OSes; hard to tell side-by-side with Chrome).
      Apple has a long history of being propped up (and bailed out) both with finances and software by their so-called "enemies". To such a degree that you kind of have to wonder about the sincerity of their PR.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Apple has a long history of being propped up (and bailed out) both with finances and software by their so-called "enemies". To such a degree that you kind of have to wonder about the sincerity of their PR.
        Very true, but last I checked, Apple was making more money than Google. So, I don't think this is one of such situations.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Very true, but last I checked, Apple was making more money than Google. So, I don't think this is one of such situations.
          They've used stuff from both little and big "enemies" over the years. It wasn't just Microsoft. I haven't followed it lately, but aren't they still using hardware from companies they've been in "death battle" lawsuits with, like Samsung and Qualcomm? All the while making grand claims about how they are going to build replacements in-house, but really doing nothing?

Comment

They should win all tests on their own hardware. If I recall, they used to win all the tests about 10-15 years ago, and there were even super computers built with their hardware. I guess the iPhone wrecked them as a high-performance computing company.
            I used to be a big fan back then, working on their hardware and software had no comparison. Now I laugh when people separate Mac from PCs, when a Mac today is nothing more than a personal computer; those are no work station, no server and of course not a gaming station either. True, you can still use them for such tasks, just like you can use a clay brick for writing, but a pencil would still do a better job...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They use Xcode which builds on / includes LLVM Clang.
              Their own fork of clang more commonly referred to as Apple clang as opposed to the upstream LLVM clang

Comment

Originally posted by Volta

It seems macOS retarded OS attracts retards like you. Everyone knows macOS is the slowest shit.
                Hello there, macOS user here. Reading through all these comments, I wonder why these results cause so much unpleasantness. Why do you even care? Can't you just shrug, be satisfied with your OS of choice, and get on with it? For some reason, Apple seems to rattle lots of Linux users' cages even though they have literally no influence on your user experience. I never got why, though. But sure, Mac users are the retards... In case you were wondering why one would choose macOS over Linux: It is the only platform which lets you use most scientific software and libraries due to its POSIX-compliance (much of my HPC-code has been developed on my 2014 MBP since, as someone stated before, the newer ones are much less appealing IMHO) while still offering first party support for things like Photoshop, MS Office, some CAD-Suites, or simply DRM'ed Netflix etc. (Please spare me the DRM debate at least). People on these forums seem to forget that many people require this kind of proprietary software for their daily work. At least, that is my motivation. Not sure why this should warrant any insults. When it comes to computational performance, a few percent don't really matter to me since my other system is a Cray.

Anyway, getting back to the actual matter, the benchmarks. It seems to me that apart from the admittedly horrible OpenGL-drivers (everybody knows that, no argument there. Nobody cares either btw. Hardly anyone plays games on Macs and more and more games are released with Metal support, be it native or via MoltenVK), the results are relatively similar with some outliers here and there. I suspect that Apple uses are more power-conscious CPU frequency scaling because usually a MacBook battery lasts longer when running macOS instead of Windows and Linux. It is also true that Apple could do more in terms of performance optimization. However, their key customer demographic to which I do not belong simply don't care that much. It does not change their purchase decision. That is the main reason why Apple does not spend more development budget on this stuff. The things that actually matter when it comes to purchasing decisions are pretty well optimized. Final Cut is one example. So, all in all, I don't get what all the fuzz is about but I'd appreciate a little more politeness.
                Last edited by GruenSein; 28 October 2019, 03:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Hello there, macOS user here. Reading through all these comments, I wonder why these results cause so much unpleasantness. Why do you even care? Can't you just shrug, be satisfied with your OS of choice, and get on with it? For some reason, Apple seems to rattle lots of Linux users' cages even though they have literally no influence on your user experience. I never got why, though. But sure, Mac users are the retards... In case you were wondering why one would choose macOS over Linux: It is the only platform which lets you use most scientific software and libraries due to its POSIX-compliance (much of my HPC-code has been developed on my 2014 MBP since, as someone stated before, the newer ones are much less appealing IMHO) while still offering first party support for things like Photoshop, MS Office, some CAD-Suites, or simply DRM'ed Netflix etc. (Please spare me the DRM debate at least). People on these forums seem to forget that many people require this kind of proprietary software for their daily work. At least, that is my motivation. Not sure why this should warrant any insults. When it comes to computational performance, a few percent don't really matter to me since my other system is a Cray.
                  I'm not sure if you're aware, but HPC runs on Linux. We have DRM'ed Netflix on Linux as well! If you didn't notice it was macOS retarded user who attacked first.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                    Anyway, getting back to the actual matter, the benchmarks. It seems to me that apart from the admittedly horrible OpenGL-drivers (everybody knows that, no argument there. Nobody cares either btw. Hardly anyone plays games on Macs and more and more games are released with Metal support, be it native or via MoltenVK
                    Uh, Vulkan and Metal are recent developments. So the rest of the library still deals with awful OpenGL support -- not only for performance, but also for stability and functionality. Worse than that, possibly soon extinct OpenGL support.

Apple is just a pain in the ass for developers. Easily the worst platform to deal with when macOS is not your primary system.

You can't even make a goddamn macOS VM. Unless you're willing to spend hours and hours. You have to deal with their shitty hardware, too. Spend a hundred bucks or more on a used mac mini or whatever. Now you also have to pay to "sign" your application, apparently.

MoltenVK is not even a first party solution. If it were not for Valve you'd have to pay for it. Other than that, Apple very clearly wants to force you into their API. Clearly it's very fine to have to refactor your entire small indie engine and implement support for Apple's API within a few hundreds of hours.

Yeah, fuck them.
                    Last edited by AsuMagic; 28 October 2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Imagine how bad it would be if OSX wasn't *optimized* for this specific hardware.

And this is a trillion dollar company. Crazy.
                      Yeah a trillion dollar fashion company, not a tech company.

Comment

Working...
                      X