Apple macOS 10.15 vs. Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Please re-read my previous statement. Windows is not a UNIX and not POSIX-compliant. The entire development process is very different. On macOS, I can simply run THE SAME cmake script as on the HPC. Even the directory structure is almost identical such that cmake finds the dependecies. Much of the tool chain is identical. The libraries are easily available via homebrew or macports (don't be fooled. Most software in macports is not actually ported. It is just repackaged because it does not need to be ported). The entire system works very similarly to my HPC target. Please stop trying to play devil's advocate when you obviously do not understand the fundamentals.
    What I don't understand is you using this crap instead of Linux which is exactly what you have on the HPC. But yes, as the HPC programmer, video editor, graphic and musician you have to have exact combination of specific applications. I have two Linux instances for simpler tasks, but yeah, I've got your point..

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

hahahaha you mad and jealous call me when movies/musics are produced and edited on fast linsux or fast windoze
      There are Linux render farms, because MaCshitOS is too slow to finish the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

There are Linux render farms, because MaCshitOS is too slow to finish the job.
        That and because most sys-admins aren't retarded enough to buy 45 Windows licenses to run 1 dev PC and 44 render boxes or to spend $50,000 on 20 macOS boxes when they can buy 44 Linux render boxes with the same hardware for the same money.

Comment

hahahaha you mad and jealous call me when movies/musics are produced and edited on fast linsux or fast windoze
          İLM (İndustrial Light & Magic - small and niche VFX company you still might heard of as an Apple fanatic) used Linux all the way back in 2002 to produce Star Wars – Episode 2; and yes, not just for final rendering but also on their cheap & inexpensive workstations!

Hopefully your entire mind won't collapse once you read this:

Comment

OpenGL is ancient technology that suffer from performance issues, there is no point in trying to support it anymore, better alternative exists today: Metal 2

Apple is doing better than you at promoting better performant solutions, better technologies and hardware

Go back to your bubuntuLeetOS, life is better over there if you don't need to be productive
            Your opinion of OpenGL is irrelevant.

Apple's hardware is poor quality. 5400rpm in 2019 for over 1k€ (lol), consistently worsening build quality, and just countless many other things Apple fans will somehow try to justify.

They didn't invent anything either.
            Metal is no innovation. It's just in the post-Mantle family, only proprietary.
            Hence a pain in the ass for every developer.

But hey, look, macOS is clearly just about productivity. Magic lamp animations and bouncy icons. Truly professional software. That, I'll admit, was stuff I used to have fun with using Compiz when I was 10 years old.

Comment

To be fair, Apple is currently WAY ahead in the all-important "crashes per day" benchmark, for Catalina 15.1 ...
              (This is a demanding benchmark. Crash MUST be of the OS, not just an app. Multilingual Grey Screen of Death must appear.)

On my mac mini (2012) it pulls in a respectable ~one week between crashes. But on my iMac 2012 it pulls in a truly record-setting OS crash every ~20 minutes. (This is on a CLEAN install to the INTERNAL disk, and happens even if I just power on the machine and do nothing, leaving the login screen just sitting there!)

Truly an impressive showing by Apple. But sadly, one cannot spend all one's time admiring crash statistics, and so it's back to Mojave for me.
              Let's try again when 15.3 comes out...

Comment

tried installing ubuntu 9.10 on macbook 2017 but still had a few issues
                sound doesnt work,
                heats up, wake up from hybernation not good
                any chance u could do a beginners guide, or idiot proof guide as how u made it work?

Comment

@Michael

Can you confirm the compiler used for Windows?

I am curious whether it was clang/llvm like for MacOS, or if you used GCC like Linux.

I think a very interesting comparison (from my point of view) would be how clang/llvm performs across the different OS. I know xcode is supposed to be optimized for the hardware, but it would be interesting to see what kind of benefit this brings when compared to clang/llvm on Linux (and perhaps Windows).

Comment

Okay, stop bashing on apple. They just released their 16"Macbook which is the first good new hardware in 7y or more, applaud that!
                    Linux is not a general option for multiple reasons besides performance, let me name some:
                    -Gaming still sucks, either use BLOB or get bad performance
                    -People using XFCE when there's KDE that does everything better and Gnome that is a modern DE.
                    -No software. Sorry boys, blender ist not what the users want. Blender is like the butterfly shit keyboards apple came up with.

So what are we left with, real world?
                    Windows that has WSL2 now which is improving greatly by every update they do. Windows got a terminal now, really.
                    OSX that has the best trackpad usage on the go and still 15years later the best looking and feeling hardware unless of course you go out or wake up late night in your underpants and want to fix some code quickly on your lap. Macbook owners will smirk now.

Windows, Linux and OSX are all free of cost in 2020.

You can disable telemetry in windows, not so much on OSX.

There you go, winner winner chicken dinner for Microsoft and soon they will implement all the linux goods into their ecosystem like an indian boss. Like it, hate it, fear it, windows reigns supreme overall. OSX is still pretty and very usable and for a little extra gets you a good overall package of hardware and software. There's no looser like those benchmarks suggest and yall know it, if a shady guy would offer you an X1 and a 16"book for 100 dollars who would pick the x1 for the better keyboard and then install linux on it if it was your only machine(meaning no office or adobe for you, ever)?

Comment

Working...
                    X