GhostBSD Reaffirms To Being TrueOS+BSD Desktop OS With Official MATE Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And this is bad, because BSD code serves proprietary software.
    Uh. You can download the source code and do whatever you want with it.

Comment

And this is bad, because BSD code serves proprietary software.
      One thing I never understood about you stallmanites is how you absolutely lose your minds at the prospect that someone might release source code under a license that might allow someone to do something you don't like. If I were to release some source code under a 2-clause BSD license you could do whatever you want with it forever but instead you'll flip out because someone might put it in an Apple device and not tell you if they modified the files!

You people are loons. Straight up loony.

Next thing you know the stalllmanites will want to start dictating on which days abortions are allowed to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by drjohnnyfever View Post

Uh. You can download the source code and do whatever you want with it.
        Which isn't what I'm talking about. I want to have modified code as well which isn't usually the case with BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by drjohnnyfever View Post

One thing I never understood about you stallmanites is how you absolutely lose your minds at the prospect that someone might release source code under a license that might allow someone to do something you don't like. If I were to release some source code under a 2-clause BSD license you could do whatever you want with it forever but instead you'll flip out because someone might put it in an Apple device and not tell you if they modified the files!

You people are loons. Straight up loony.

Next thing you know the stalllmanites will want to start dictating on which days abortions are allowed to happen.
          I don't like Stallman, so don't call me stallmanite, please. If you like being gull who likes to being f*ucked by proprietary companies then ok. If some proprietary shit takes Open Source code it should pay for it. Or - which is a better option, give modified code back to community. This is the reason Linux isn't being f*cked by Android and FreeBSD is just sony's and Apple's whore.

Comment

I don't like Stallman, so don't call me stallmanite, please. If you like being gull who likes to being f*ucked by proprietary companies then ok. If some proprietary shit takes Open Source code it should pay for it. Or - which is a better option, give modified code back to community. This is the reason Linux isn't being f*cked by Android and FreeBSD is just sony's and Apple's whore.
            I disagree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Volta's "problem" is ideologic. Idea of BSD license rubs this asshole simply wrong way, "take source, modify and close the source if you wanted to" simply is "bad" in his books. Thats all there is to his "problem". It's as much "moral problem" as anything. He has been raised with rigid set of values, which appear to be next best thing to marxist, so "his solutions" are also reflecting that upbringing - cries of "I wish them die" and stuff like this. There cannot be allowed any "gray" between his ideological "black" and "white" ideas or any tolerance. "Live and let live" are foreign concepts like with most religious zealots. No, we all have to line up like tin soldiers and walk in step along his ideological convictions, whether we wanted to or not. Or else.. That's his idea of freedom.

Little facts that you cannot use DRM solutions on BSD (watch Netflix for example), that OpenBSD does not even allow binary blobs in it's kernel (while Linux does and is in fact, chock-full of mysterious blobs) are meaningless, since they are not fitting with his neat "good/bad reality", these little facts will be simply ignored.

Having religious-level convictions over SOFTWARE is literally "box of rocks stupid" in my books. My neighbour belongs to Jehovah Witness sect, even she isn't half as passionate about her convictions, or hating..
              Last edited by aht0; 18 October 2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Wow people calm down...

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  Wow people calm down...
                  I get a little irritated when people who've never used FreeBSD or anything else they talk about say it's a bunch of garbage and then tell me I'm essentially a bad person for even using it because it isn't GPLv3 because of their bizarre ideas about what software is. I never once have told anyone that they just shouldn't use Linux or that the GPL is unacceptable. I'd expect to be able to have my preferences without being demonized just for talking about something in this age of tolerance we're supposed to be in.

That aside, I think aht0 is on point.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    Linux does and is in fact, chock-full of mysterious blobs
                    Could you explicitly point out those blobs that are in the mainline linux git tree? I think you are confusing firmware that is from a separate firmware repo, where that firmware is loaded onto peripheral devices, such as NICs and GPUs with actual binary blobs in the mainline kernel.

For example, OpenBSD certainly allows and defaults to using loadable proprietary firmware as can be seen here: http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/snapshots/

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                      Could you explicitly point out those blobs that are in the mainline linux git tree? I think you are confusing firmware that is from a separate firmware repo, where that firmware is loaded onto peripheral devices, such as NICs and GPUs with actual binary blobs in the mainline kernel.

For example, OpenBSD certainly allows and defaults to using loadable proprietary firmware as can be seen here: http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/snapshots/
                      Pretty much anything that exists in mainline and has been ripped out of linux-libre. I am making a point here - you guys want to rail against 'proprietary' then let's go at it without making exceptions. Firmware or no firmware, it's still proprietary blob. No 'if's' or 'but's'. Unless you can show the sources of the firmware.

We could also discuss embedded Linux, like Android's kernel or Linux-based routers.. which are all exceptionally 'blobby'.. Especially components like cellular modems, which are in effect black boxes..

My experience with OpenBSD, I had to DOWNLOAD these firmware files by myself (in my case, for Intel WiFi card) from internet, these weren't included with installed system and certainly didn't 'default' to anything. User had to take the responsibility of getting them and installing them. You can go also without and that's the 'default'..

And you know what's funny.. You hate BSD license because "it doesnt give back shit and let's people steal"? You know, anybody who wants CAN use GPL software, modify it for their business AND NOT contribute back IF they want it so.. Doesn't take much.. Big companies do it all the time, as long as that stuff stays in-house, you won't see peep of a back-fed contributions if they don't want it. And even when they release some doo-dad device with GPLed stuff inside, they can use various tricks, even after they dump you the sources - might be signed boot loader, mess of a disorganized source dump you cant make heads or tails of, custom C lib around kernel and their own custom code left proprietary.. and you are still going to be left scratching your head and their commercial product protected. Using GPL and not contributing back is easy enough if there is sufficient motivation not to do it, putting that blame to BSD license alone is just idiotic.
                      Last edited by aht0; 18 October 2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X