No announcement yet.

GhostBSD Reaffirms To Being TrueOS+BSD Desktop OS With Official MATE Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD Reaffirms To Being TrueOS+BSD Desktop OS With Official MATE Desktop

Phoronix: GhostBSD Reaffirms To Being TrueOS+BSD Desktop OS With Official MATE Desktop

With Project Trident moving away from a TrueOS/FreeBSD base to instead Void Linux, if you are looking for a good BSD-based desktop operating system it largely comes down to the likes of MidnightBSD and GhostBSD providing good out-of-the-box setups. As for GhostBSD, they are reaffirming their commitment to using TrueOS/FreeBSD and MATE as their official desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GhostBSD uses openrc and is different enough from freebsd that regular documentation for freebsd no longer applies. The forums are dead and it's very hard find info on this os if you need it.

I am sure anyone with the need for freebsd can roll their own system, so what is the point of this os?

Comment

Because Gnome (and KDE) is such a sprawling mess, it needs a lot of babysitting and fixing of its errors to make it work in a non-buggy way on a specific "distro".
      It isn't enough to do a pkg install gnome3.

For example, icons and menu entries are often missing. The "admin login" on settings pages rarely works out of the box. It often fails to change screen brightness without tweaks.

GhostBSD does do this but, yes I agree that it is a little bit too non-standard to recommend to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
        GhostBSD uses openrc and is different enough from freebsd that regular documentation for freebsd no longer applies. The forums are dead and it's very hard find info on this os if you need it.

I am sure anyone with the need for freebsd can roll their own system, so what is the point of this os?
        And hate campaign started.. Why dont you idiotic linux nerds go bugger eachother asses or bother windows users?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

And hate campaign started.. Why dont you idiotic linux nerds go bugger eachother asses or bother windows users?
          Said idiotic bsd nerd and systemd hater. Linux eats this shit for breakfast. That's the reason why another bsd switched to Linux.

Comment

I'm gonna give GhostBSD and MidnightBSD live images a shot over the next few days and hopefully answer my own question about the current level of RX 580 support.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Said idiotic bsd nerd and systemd hater. Linux eats this shit for breakfast. That's the reason why another bsd switched to Linux.
              Linux doesn't even come close to Proprietary BSD:
              • Junos
              • macOS, iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
              • Nintendo Switch OS
              • OpenServer 10
              • PlayStation 3 OS
              • PlayStation 4 OS
              • PlayStation Vita OS

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Linux doesn't even come close to Proprietary BSD:
                • Junos
                • macOS, iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
                • Nintendo Switch OS
                • OpenServer 10
                • PlayStation 3 OS
                • PlayStation 4 OS
                • PlayStation Vita OS
                There's nearly nothing from BSD. Try to beat Android, HPC market and so on. Google, Facebook, YouTube are using Linux, so bsd is not even close.

Comment

And it's not surprising bsd is proprietary whore.

Comment

By eric creator of GhostBSD:" For the last 3 days it was not fun and that is also why I have not put a word about Trident in https://ghostbsd.org/node/194 I did have Kris and Joe the review it before sending it also, just to make sure it is fine with iX. I made that post to just clarify what I have seen the Social Media since the release, but in the same time to say that GhostBsD on TrueOS is not going anywhere."

Comment

Working...
                    X