X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im here for linux benchmarks

ubuntu is so far from all other linuxes
    unity is crap software, and all compositing under X11 HAS to give a penalty
    canonical also puts in lots of patches to everything (inluding kernel) that the original devs didnt wanna put for a reason
    also ubuntu runs a lot of crap in the background, making the system noisy and thus measurements not precise (like random updates and as mentioned spyware)

fedora is not far from that, but at least has SOME quality control (although not on release, but few months later)

anyway, anything but something that forces compositing
    (personally id choose... debian is vanilla software, no ?)

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      You're not very good at identifying trolls, then. On the pro-Ubuntu side we have verde and Pawlerson. On the anti-Ubuntu side we have LinuxGamer and jrch2k8. Just that the anti-Ubuntu side posts much, much more often.

So ignoring them, of course there are still people who are upset about it. The whole situation with Ubuntu is different than what you mention. Ubuntu has several core pieces of software that is different from the rest of the distributions, as well as the other flops that Canonical has had. X.org and XFree86 are the same X server. GTK and Qt were not used by a single distribution, and at the very start GTK was created as a free alternative to Qt. Same with KDE and GNOME. Inits do not affect the system that much, but Upstart does make Ubuntu look more exclusive. ALSA is a next-generation replacement for OSS, PulseAudio is a framework on top of ALSA (and also a compatibility layer), that's not comparable to the Wayland/Mir split. And Wayland is a next-generation replacement for X.

You know, it's an interesting thing that there are few openSUSE derivatives. But when you think about it, it makes sense. Ubuntu was created as a derivative of Debian, because they didn't like the way Debian development process worked. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint etc. were created because Ubuntu doesn't provide as good experience on the respective desktop environments. But with openSUSE, everyone can create their own mini-distributions in the form of SUSEStudio images. I personally maintain an Xfce spin of it, for instance. Also, due to OBS and its integration into SUSEStudio, it's trivial to create modifications without requiring an actual fork. That's how the new lean KDE project is being developed: instead of creating an outright derivative, they are just using the OBS. That doesn't fracture the codebase, allows for easy cooperation and integration with the upstream distribution, and is much easier to maintain.
      does it count if i post from Xmir on Ubuntu?
      i want a Debian Studio and not that Debian Live BS
      hmm X.org Sucks and XFree86 Sucks i Remember all my days of using the Broken Xserver's and its fork's the Xserver it the best it's been in many years and Now we even have 2 forks of Wayland... (damn them Pop up Fast)
      i have my own open build service server i love that they developed one
      and Like it's been said many Time's the head of the Ubuntu Project is a Vet From MS it's not that i don't like Ubuntu i really really do not care for Canonical at all and It's Guru Mark Shuttleworth is a lying asshole you can see him lying here take a look http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...der_of_ubuntu/ he started all of this shit 90% of it was just from his Lie's he also try's to make it look like Gnome fallowed them and he keep's lying about Wayland he push out Ubuntu befor it's Ready, on 99% of release's (or let's them do it) thats why clem waits before he release, Mint also he killed the support on Ubuntu to 9mo's (was trying for 7mo's) maken it a even more pain in the ass to use

"Mark Shuttleworth
      No, it will be unusual in supporting TWO bands of LTE so it can work with LTE in both the US and EU, but it can't support every possible LTE carrier worldwide, the spectrum is just too fragmented at the moment. That's a real swamp we would like to help drain!"
      than he cries over fragmented but he's Doing it too he wants us to support them be he can't support anyone else

Ubuntu Will be the Developer's Fear as it will soon become the most fragmented OS on the market

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        Are you kidding? A lot of people did, and some still do. Gnome gets a lot of flack for its perceived NIH attitude, and the founder in particular still routinely gets criticized for being the one largely responsible for fragmentation on Linux.

The difference is that Gnome devs are actually doing a lot of work in the core Linux desktop stack, and at least make efforts for interoperability. I am not aware of any case where Gnome has deviated from the agreed-upon Linux stack in such a way that it renders it completely incompatible with any other Linux software.
        "Completely incompatible"? GTK and QT apps will run natively on Mir, and other apps will run under Xmir.

Comment

• Something Else: Arch Linux

I've switched from Kubuntu to KDE on Arch because I've become irritated at the NIH-ness of Ubuntu -- upstart, mir, unity, etc. While evaluating options, I strongly considered Fedora/KDE and Debian/KDE. The rolling release model and the general close-to-upstream nature of Arch were deciding factors. For benchmarking, I would strongly prefer a distro with minimal patches since those test results will be more easily interpreted for users of other distros.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maudit View Post
            Simple or difficult is the same. We're not talking about how easy it is to disable lens.
            Canonical-Ubuntu is distributed with spyware installed and enabled by default.
            your firefox/chrome browser has enabled by default Google. And Google is spyware if Amazon is spyware so fuvk me!

Comment

• Originally posted by verde View Post
              your firefox/chrome browser has enabled by default Google. And Google is spyware if Amazon is spyware so fuvk me!
              Chrome or firefox have nothing to do with operating systems.

Comment

• Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
                Xubuntu because Ubuntu's unity desktop violates my privacy with their unity lens amazon search scam. Gives a bad name for linux. Just a few days ago I recommended Ubuntu to an acquaintance and the answer I got was a negative, that Ubuntu spies on its users, though in my opinion it is Ubuntu Unity desktop that spies on its users. So please stop benchmarking on Unity, since unity is the privacy-violation flagship.
                Wait until he discovers that Google save every search he ever makes, use it to target advertising at him, AND send a copy of it all to the US government.

If you search through any operating system and it returns results from a remote server, then you have no privacy at all. It's all being recorded, used to building an advertising profile, and sent to the US government. This is true even on cell phones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maudit View Post
                  Chrome or firefox have nothing to do with operating systems.
                  Orly?

Comment

• (About Debian Sid/Unstable)
                    Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                    As I understand it, XFCE was a special case because they had to make sure the stable releases went through the correct sequence (4.6, 4.8, 4.10 ?) otherwise user data wouldn't get upgraded properly. They didn't want to risk that users upgrading from Debian 6.0 to Debian 7.0 would end up jumping multiple XFCE releases.
                    That?s interesting, makes sense. So if we want Debian Sid to be up to date, we have to make sure all the software can read configuration files from about 2 or 3 years before? That?s a long time :-/.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                      "Completely incompatible"? GTK and QT apps will run natively on Mir, and other apps will run under Xmir.
                      GTK and QT will run natively on Mir just as .NET applications run on mono.
                      MIR-QT and MIR-GTK = YACD (Yet Another Canonical Deviation).
                      No one at Digia or at GTK team is planning to support MIR.

Comment

Working...
                      X