Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Belial View Post
    How come no one felt this way about gtk and gnome when they were first released?
    Because they didn't stop existing applications from functioning. Unity won't function under wayland, and the rest will not funtion under Mir.
    Also GTK was created for a valid reason (GIMP), GNOME too (Qt wasn't free at that point). Mir wasn't as has been immediately shown by Wayland/X/WM developers.

@Michael : I took your requirements to heart, and didn't vote for Gentoo, although I still believe that with a correct setup it can be the easiest to switch things around and meet your requirements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      Because they didn't stop existing applications from functioning. Unity won't function under wayland, and the rest will not funtion under Mir.
      Also GTK was created for a valid reason (GIMP), GNOME too (Qt wasn't free at that point). Mir wasn't as has been immediately shown by Wayland/X/WM developers.
      The rest should function fine under XMir. And why is it an argument that Unity won't function under wayland now when pretty much every distribution wouldn't package it to begin with? Either way, this is all yet to be seen.

And good point on GTK and Gnome.

Comment

How come no one felt this way about gtk and gnome when they were first released?
        Are you kidding? A lot of people did, and some still do. Gnome gets a lot of flack for its perceived NIH attitude, and the founder in particular still routinely gets criticized for being the one largely responsible for fragmentation on Linux.

The difference is that Gnome devs are actually doing a lot of work in the core Linux desktop stack, and at least make efforts for interoperability. I am not aware of any case where Gnome has deviated from the agreed-upon Linux stack in such a way that it renders it completely incompatible with any other Linux software.
        Last edited by TheBlackCat; 28 July 2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Why not use top 10 distrowatch distro for last month?

ref: http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4

that would be:
          1. Mint
          2. Fedora
          3. Debian
          4. Ubuntu
          5. PCLinuxOS
          6. Mageia
          7. OpenSUSE
          8. Manjaro
          9. Arch
          10. OS4

Comment

The rest should function fine under XMir.
            ...as Photoshop run very fine under wine!

Can I ask you, in your opinion, what is the main difference - from a user perspective - between gnu/Linux, OsX, Windows and FreeBSD?
            What you can't do crosswise with this systems?

Comment

• I voted X because...

Xubuntu because Ubuntu's unity desktop violates my privacy with their unity lens amazon search scam. Gives a bad name for linux. Just a few days ago I recommended Ubuntu to an acquaintance and the answer I got was a negative, that Ubuntu spies on its users, though in my opinion it is Ubuntu Unity desktop that spies on its users. So please stop benchmarking on Unity, since unity is the privacy-violation flagship.

Comment

• Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
                Xubuntu because Ubuntu's unity desktop violates my privacy with their unity lens amazon search scam. Gives a bad name for linux. Just a few days ago I recommended Ubuntu to an acquaintance and the answer I got was a negative, that Ubuntu spies on its users, though in my opinion it is Ubuntu Unity desktop that spies on its users. So please stop benchmarking on Unity, since unity is the privacy-violation flagship.
                Code:
                sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
                or

Dash>Privacy>Include online results = "off"

That simple..

PS. it is worth to wonder how it is possible advanced PC users, running more complicated distos on their own PC, that cant deactivate a setting like this. I wonder how much easier or effective is to avoid "spying" during their Internet browsing.

Don't they search via Google/Bing/Yahoo?
                Don't they use Facebook/Twitter/Google+?
                Don't they watch videos on Youtube?
                Don't they have been recorded by their internet provider every single minute?

Internet privacy? what is this?

The most wise thing a geek friend told me was "safe PC is the turned off PC"
                Last edited by verde; 28 July 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

You know, it's an interesting thing that there are few openSUSE derivatives. But when you think about it, it makes sense. Ubuntu was created as a derivative of Debian, because they didn't like the way Debian development process worked. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint etc. were created because Ubuntu doesn't provide as good experience on the respective desktop environments. But with openSUSE, everyone can create their own mini-distributions in the form of SUSEStudio images. I personally maintain an Xfce spin of it, for instance. Also, due to OBS and its integration into SUSEStudio, it's trivial to create modifications without requiring an actual fork. That's how the new lean KDE project is being developed: instead of creating an outright derivative, they are just using the OBS. That doesn't fracture the codebase, allows for easy cooperation and integration with the upstream distribution, and is much easier to maintain.
                  Now that you mention it, it is true that OpenSUSE has really few derivatives. You see tons of Ubuntu-based, Debian-based, Fedora-based, Arch-based, Gentoo-based, Slackware-based etc etc distributions but virtually none that announces themselves as OpenSUSE-based.

Mandriva is probably the only other major distribution that sees very few derivatives, namely OpenMandriva, PCLinuxOS and Mageia.

Comment

• Originally posted by verde View Post
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
                    or

Dash>Privacy>Include online results = "off"

That simple..

PS. it is worth to wonder how much advanced PC users cant deactivate a setting like this. I wonder how much easier is to avoid "spying" during their Internet surfing...
                    First, they'll argue that there's no documentation to disable it.
                    Second, when the documention is provided they'll argue that there should be a GUI tool or a checkbox to disable it.
                    Third, when a GUI tool or checkbox is provided they will argue that the feature should not even have been there in the first place...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      First, they'll argue that there's no documentation to disable it.
                      Second, when the documention is provided they'll argue that there should be a GUI tool or a checkbox to disable it.
                      Third, when a GUI tool or checkbox is provided they will argue that the feature should not even have been there in the first place...
                      You need documentation to open your "system settings" (tagged by default on the Unity bar on the left) and search the word/icon "Privacy" to enter the privacy settings? How obvious is this?

Nice...

I can think a thousand things that they should or should not been there (in any distro) in the first place. That is a matter of personal taste. Personaly i would love to see Google or Wikipedia search results in my Dash. I don't like Amazon results because i don't use it but IF i used Amazon i wouldn't turn it off. My privacy are leaked anyway from my phone (Android/iOS), my internet accounts (FB/Twitter/Google) and my internet provider.

I am not that fool to believe otherwise. And i am not offended as long as i have the choice to disable it (something you can't do in the rest cases i refer).
                      Last edited by verde; 28 July 2013, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X