Fedora 27 Beta Hit By A Second Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Yeah - no one on Arch EVER uses Steam. Oh, wait -- what???
    To use steam on a rolling distro you need to troubleshoot occasional breakage.

Or it's only my steam that sometimes breaks on my Weedtumble-thing in my little corner of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Software you are using are implemented badly. Many Linux gamers use rolling release distros and hundreds of native Linux games run just fine.
      native linux games usually just ship all libraries. btw, debian is not rolling release

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        To use steam on a rolling distro you need to troubleshoot occasional breakage.

Or it's only my steam that sometimes breaks on my Weedtumble-thing in my little corner of the universe.
        If you're trying to use Steam on anything openSUSE related, I pity you, haha. Never been a very fun distro for high-end graphics cards. Although with Nvidia at least you get some of the one-click installs.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          It is not hard to set cut-off dates for features: if done by date X, merge into next release, if not, wait.
          sure, but with little downside: you get outdated useless distro like debian
          The difference is Fedora is not RH's primary product and there's really no pressure to release on time. So you don't.
          fedora is not released by rh. so they don't
          The only thing is people tend to think Fedora is on a 6 months release schedule
          people tend to think many stupid things, just look at you
          and it occasionally misses a month here and there. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora...ersion_history
          only f18 and f26 missed month or more
          In the mean time, Ubuntu (and derivatives) managed to release spot on (with a single exception) since 2004.
          in the meantime when ubuntu tries to "integrate same amount of software" it gets pulseaudio debacle. and ubuntu is not upstream distro, its counterpart is rhel. fedora's counterpart is debian. now tell me about debian release schedule

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
            CUDA 9 for example is going to officially support Fedora 25
            easy solution: do not support cuda

Comment

My Arch laptop gets most newly released versions within a day or two. Sometimes it takes a week or so, but I get the new kernels, new versions of Mesa, Gnome, etc very quickly.
              fedora gets new kernels during release. fedora has mesa coprs which package git every few days. so who is the boss now?

Comment

Although with Nvidia at least you get some of the one-click installs.
                although with amd you don't need any clicks, it comes oob

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
                  Rolling release distributions would make my life impossible and they're not officially supported by commercial software like Matlab, Wolfram Mathematica, etc.. Even if workarounds to make them work are sometimes possible, it's not always the case (for example, I remember that the update to Ncurses 6 killed my Matlab installation on Arch). You just think that all users around the world all have the same needs you have. That's typical of rolling release fundamentalists.
                  As someone who uses both CentOS 7 and Fedora on my one's home computers, I can definitely see the differences quite clearly. I've an OpenStack all-in-one server using CentOS 7 as the host OS and on it I run various CentOS based instances. It really is a joy as an admin to only get updates that I know are security based on those instances. I feel confident that when I do a software update, even if it is a general one, I only get a handful of changes every other week or so and feel at-ease that things will be alright.

My gaming machine and workstation, OTOH, runs on Fedora (currently 26). I get tons of updates almost on a daily basis. I rarely get updates which break anything nowadays, but the sheer volume of changes often make me wonder and does contribute a little to the stress.

The real humdinger is when I upgrade from one version to another. Minor point releases for CentOS (RHEL) do contain quite a number of package updates, but so far, I've not had anything that broke functionality or resulted in missing dependencies. On Fedora, however, there've been the occasional glitch between updates. Granted, I have more workstation-type of software running on Fedora (as opposed to server-based apps on CentOS). Still, the difference between the two is clear and one just has to pick the right distro for ones needs and risk tolerance.

Comment

@pale - "fedora gets new kernels during release. fedora has mesa coprs which package git every few days. so who is the boss now?"

You wait for a new release to get a kernel? copr - so no testing or regular community support? Yeeeesh. Worse situation than I thought. I was on Fedora a few years ago and liked it. Doesn't sound like a good situation now.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      easy solution: do not support cuda
                      Oh great, what a revolutionary and useful suggestion. It would be easier for me to change job entirely, except that it's not easy. Given the depth of your advice, basically based on a childish anti-Nvidia fundamentalism, I suppose you have never worked under a boss or don't really care about paying taxes and bills.

Comment

Working...
                      X