Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.6 Appears To Be On The Way

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.6 Appears To Be On The Way

While Vulkan has taken much of the spotlight in the past year when it comes to multi-platform graphics APIs, OpenGL continues to be used by many games, a lot of commercial/workstation software continues relying on OpenGL and that will not change over night, and there it continues to be a widely-used graphics API even if it may not be as fast or customizable as Vulkan. While we previously heard there would likely not be a new version of OpenGL in the foreseeable future, it appears OpenGL 4.6 is on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, if you want to somewhat protect the person that inadvertently leaked this, perhaps you can rephrase the quote. I searched in google and sure enough found the source. It took me 3 seconds (seriously).

I just grabbed a piece of the string, put it in quotation marks, and voila, single result on Google.

Comment

A major problem with the openGL ecosystem in the past was that stuff only worked on Nvidia.

But now things are better, now the linux openGL situation is closer to the windows dx11 situation.
      i.e. both Nvidia and AMD have good and fast drivers.

So openGL is actually now more viable than ever...

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
        Michael, if you want to somewhat protect the person that inadvertently leaked this, perhaps you can rephrase the quote. I searched in google and sure enough found the source. It took me 3 seconds (seriously).

I just grabbed a piece of the string, put it in quotation marks, and voila, single result on Google.
        Just changed it a bit.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Michael is only dodging lawsuits, his attempt to "protect" the developer is basically there only to be able to claim he did it while still providing the info for the people.
          Because People Must Know.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Just changed it a bit.
            I just copy-pasted the phrase, still found it as second result (on duckduckgo though), how bout dropping the quote alltogether?

Comment

No one saw this one comming...
              They can launch all the OpenGL versions they want. But why?...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Standardization ?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                  For the same reason they made new OpenGL versions in the past, the extension system works like this.

People isn't supposed to track each individual extension their program needs as that would get stupid fast, but to use OpenGL version. And if there is no OpenGL version then most programs can't seriously commit to use some extensions as they don't know if they are provided everywhere.

There are already a ton of extensions released after OpenGL 4.5, so time was due for another version.

Also Vulkan works like this, btw.

Comment

*sigh* People get so upset over nothing. I don't really understand how one "accidentally" leaks information like this, or, why it's a big deal that it was leaked. It's one thing if reading source code gives it away or if the person accidentally forwarded a message to the wrong person. But since I don't know the context, it seems to me this guy wasn't really trying that hard to keep tight lips. Not that it matters anyway. Seriously, what's so devastating about slipping that GL4.6 will be released? Who does that hurt? It's not like people have been hyping it up with huge expectations, and I'm pretty sure no GPU manufacturer is ripping their hair out over any foiled plans. Remember people - it's called OpenGL, so whatever company is backing this surely isn't risking anything; it's a platform for everyone, not for proprietary needs.

It wouldn't surprise me if this version is basically just a collection involving mostly stuff from the "Other Extensions" that you'd find in mesamatrix.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 28 June 2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X