No announcement yet.

Feral Interactive Vulkan-izes Mad Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought fromage Feral's site, currently downloading. I was hesitating to buy it, hesitation gone-let's see what this got. I'll even try it on my old X4 + RadeonHD 7770.

Comment

Awesome, just brought it from the Feral page and will try it out tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I rebooted into Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and run Mad Max. The result is: It isn't faster than Radv.
        I'm really sceptic also that the end result of the Vulkan driver opensourcing will be used as a single piece anyway. It might have individual parts that are better but I think it's at this point likely those parts will just end up being ripped out and integrated to radv effort. There are currently way more important things than outsourcing it anyway like turning DC into something that can land in main Git tree

Comment

My question is did they try opengl AZDO? (you can even make opengl work like vulkan does). I am geussing no.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

A main difference between OpenGL and Vulkan is that in OpenGL it is much harder for programmers to make precise predictions (to reason) about memory management and resource usage. AZDO (approaching zero driver overhead) in OpenGL is much harder to achieve than in Vulkan.
            No doubt its harder but its possible by strictly using certain APIs. Its documented.

Comment

But why bother with AZDO-OpenGL when there's a clearly superior API nowadays? I'd have loved to see some AZDO stuff before Vulkan was a thing - I mean, stuff like MultiDrawIndirect and bindless textures have been around for a while - but now it kind of seems like a waste of time especially with Mesa support lagging behind.

Comment

Working...
              X