NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Offers Great Performance On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
    And he did it again. Comparing the proprietary Nvidia driver vs. the open AMD- driver, leaving out AMD in the OpenCL- figures. This site is just a piece of Nvidia propaganda. It makes no sense to stay here any longer.
    The conclusion is the same everywhere: Polaris is plain bad from a technical standpoint compared to Pascal. Its price point can make up for that, and that's the end of the story. The open driver is very good for Linux however (finally ! as a GCN1 owner, I got nothing but promises back then ...), so that's another selling point. But in no event I would place the RX480 ref card in one of my PCs, it's too easy to run into motherboard issues without actively looking for them.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
      And he did it again. Comparing the proprietary Nvidia driver vs. the open AMD- driver, leaving out AMD in the OpenCL- figures. This site is just a piece of Nvidia propaganda. It makes no sense to stay here any longer.
      Next time he'll test a card from AMD, he'll probably do an AMDGPU-Pro vs nouveau comparison. You know, because it's easier this way.

Comment

Poor AMD, on Linux it's clear which card to pick, but on the Windows side (where most money is spend), the GTX 1060 is the clear winner on price/performance/watt.

Nevertheless, pretty good results for Mesa. It's shaping up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
          The conclusion is the same everywhere: Polaris is plain bad from a technical standpoint compared to Pascal. Its price point can make up for that, and that's the end of the story.
          Citation needed. Comparable die size, comparable process, comparable performance (higher on newer apps, lower on older apps), slightly higher power draw but also more VRAM. What makes it "bad" ?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/...4#.V444q-0ytWQ

If you bias the set of games towards older, ROP-intensive apps then the 1060 wins, and if you bias towards newer, shader-intensive apps then the 480 wins. Look for review sites that don't stick to the reviewers guide and you'll get a more balanced picture.

Originally posted by remm View Post
          But in no event I would place the RX480 ref card in one of my PCs, it's too easy to run into motherboard issues without actively looking for them.
          Huh ? What motherboard issues are you talking about ? Drivers have already been fixed to balance the power draw between the connectors, is there some other issue you are talking about ?
          Last edited by bridgman; 19 July 2016, 10:41 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Citation needed. Comparable die size, comparable process, comparable performance (higher on newer apps, lower on older apps), slightly higher power draw but also more VRAM. What makes it "bad" ?
            Well, if +25% (or +20%, depending on the reference) qualifies for "slightly higher power draw", I'd love to see your drivers offer slightly higher performance

Edit: I'm really curious what in my original message made go into moderation...
            Last edited by bug77; 19 July 2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I have no idea what to do at this point. The gtx 1060 looks great, but the rx 480 has the open-source drivers... Meanwhile, my hd 6850 is getting too old.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                Poor AMD, on Linux it's clear which card to pick, but on the Windows side (where most money is spend), the GTX 1060 is the clear winner on price/performance/watt.
                Price? Ehm nope?
                Performance? Its about 5-6% in average. That's nothing about clear winner.
                Watt. Yes thats true.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Wow that is so close to 980... for 249$ this is the best deal since a long time ago. Impressive.
                  (closed drivers are ok for me, so no flame plz)
                  Good luck finding one for $250. It'll be $300 thanks to Founders My Wallet Edition prices. The FE cards are Nvidia's way to condition you to pay more for their graphic cards. And since the 1060 is $300 and performs like a GTX 970, guess what else costs $300 and performs like a GTX 970? A GTX 970... In fact you can probably find them for a little over $200 nowadays thanks to the RX 480. Eat that Founders Edition!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

When you find review sites that don't stick to the reviewers guide you get a more balanced picture.
                    Bigger die, more heat, more power consumption, less performance. These are facts so the product is indeed inferior technically. Now you can still manage to sell it, but at the appropriate discounted price point, and for Linux users the open driver is a great bonus.
                    About the motherboard, the ref design still uses a lot on the pcie bus, I'm not comfortable with that and would like to avoid it if possible.

Honestly, I understand your fanboyish reaction in support to your employer, but this is still a bit pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
                      Aaaaand where is DOTA2 on Vulkan?
                      Come on now, we can't have nvidia looking bad for all future games can we?

Comment

Working...
                      X