NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Offers Great Performance On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
    No, it's not a question. The 480 already beats the 980 and 1060 in Vulkan. Current gen Nvidia hardware ~can't~ do async anything. It's performance is already in the toilet in cutting edge games and it will blatantly only get worse. The 1060 is yet another Nvidia scam to get you to spend money every year.
    ?????

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great review of an incredibly power efficient card that more that at $250 is a much cheaper proposition than $240 for a card that pulls 40 watts extra from the wall to (maybe) match the 1060. I just pre-ordered one of the custom cards from EVGA for only $250 from Newegg using the Phoronix link, so I hope it goes through to thank you for your hard work in this review.

Comment

Based on other reviews, the RX 480 wins hands down when using Vulkan since performance is much less dependent on the driver; so in a sense, the RX 480 is probably more future-proof. But to me, they are close enough that I rather support the company that releases firmware, documentation, and pays developers to work on open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by damg View Post
          Based on other reviews, the RX 480 wins hands down when using Vulkan
          I haven't seen any reviews that show a "strong win" under Vulkan for the Talos Principle or DOTA2 for the Rx 480 over the GTX-1060 in Linux. Can you point them out to me?

I've seen plenty of Linux reviews showing a 120 watt Nvidia Pascal card that launched at $249 competing with and even beating an R9 Fury, which literally should not happen at all ever. That seems awfully "future proof" to me for Pascal.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

No, it's not a question. The 480 already beats the 980 and 1060 in Vulkan. Current gen Nvidia hardware ~can't~ do async anything. It's performance is already in the toilet in cutting edge games and it will blatantly only get worse. The 1060 is yet another Nvidia scam to get you to spend money every year.
            Where have you seen that? I've only seen HardOCP testing Vulkan, but they're using an older driver than Doom needs to do async compute on Nvidia hardware. The rest of the reviews haven't even touched Vulkan (though I haven't read them all yet).

Comment

Originally posted by GT220 View Post
              https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/d...5#post-1927093

AMD GPUs do not support Feature Level 12_1 and will not even run future games that uses Feature Level 12_1, just like AMD SM2.0 GPUs that couldn't run SM 3.0 games at all.

0 FPS, period.

Nvidia GPUs are future proof, runs much more efficiently and quietly unlike AMD GPUs that will have to be replaced for Feature Level 12_1 support.

It's really sad that Michael does not ban the AMD trolls like SaucyJack and Qaridarium from crap posting in all Nvidia threads just because they're such losers at life.
              It's a shame he doesn't ban Nvidia shills like you. Feature level 12_1 isn't an much of an issue as the few 12_1 features missing can be emulated in software with small impact. As shills like you conveniently leave out, Nvidia does not support full DX12 resource binding capping potential performance at the hardware level, and that's not even including the hit they take emulating async. So your "just like AMD SM2.0 GPUs that couldn't run SM 3.0 games at all." makes zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Where have you seen that? I've only seen HardOCP testing Vulkan, but they're using an older driver than Doom needs to do async compute on Nvidia hardware. The rest of the reviews haven't even touched Vulkan (though I haven't read them all yet).
                Guru3D has nice selection of DX12 games benchmarked. But strangely enough they did not test Doom on Vulkan, you'll have to go somewhere else for that.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html

Edit: Here's the mega list. Some of them barely touch DX12/Vulkan... guess we know who got a check from Nvidia.
                http://videocardz.com/62364/nvidia-g...x-1060-reviews

Techspot has a Doom Vulkan benchmark.
                http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-...060/page3.html
                Last edited by SaucyJack; 07-19-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Well, this was pretty much what i expected. NVidia's architecture is clearly far more power efficient than AMD's right now.

I think the $199 480 is still a pretty great deal, but if you are willing to spend another $50 the 1060 looks like the card to go with.

Comment

You can't emulate Conservative Rasterization, Rasterizer Ordered Views or Tiled Resources Tier 3, just shows what an ignorant AMD troll shill you are. Resource binding tier is IRRELEVANT, Pascal runs RINGS around Polaris junk in performance no matter how much AMD tries to run their GPU to the absolute limit just to not look bad. Just shows how ignorant AMD shills are.

AMD shills like Saucyjack needs to be banned period from thread crapping in all Nvidia threads, losers at life they are that will never amount to anything
                    in life.

AMD RX480 GPUs also still run out of compliance with the PCIe power specs and blatantly violate it despite having a driver update which doesn't fix it really, just shows how much AMD cares about specs.
                    Last edited by GT220; 07-19-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GT220 View Post
                      You can't emulate Conservative Rasterization, Rasterizer Ordered Views or Tiled Resources Tier 3, just shows what an ignorant AMD troll shill you are. Resource binding tier is IRRELEVANT, Pascal runs RINGS around Polaris junk in performance no matter how much AMD tries to run their GPU to the absolute limit just to not look bad. Just shows how ignorant AMD shills are.

AMD shills like Saucyjack needs to be banned period from thread crapping in all Nvidia threads, losers at life they are that will never amount to anything
                      in life.

AMD RX480 GPUs also still run out of compliance with the PCIe power specs and blatantly violate it despite having a driver update which doesn't fix it really, just shows how much AMD cares about specs.
                      "AMD RX480 GPUs also still run out of compliance with the PCIe power specs"

Just like the GTX 960 that no one complained about because the 75 watt limit applies to PCIe 2.0 slots only? Or did you not actually read the spec before spewing your premade script here.

Comment

Working...
                      X