Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund Now Supporting FFmpeg

Phoronix: Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund Now Supporting FFmpeg

Following Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund providing significant funding for GNOME, Rust Coreutils, PHP, a systemd bug bounty, and numerous other free software projects, the FFmpeg multimedia library is the latest beneficiary to this funding from the Germany government...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's hope this will be canned with current talks about spending cuts and money can be diverted to projects that are actually in the tax payers' interests.

Comment

I think FFmpeg needs to be written in a memory-safe language such as Rust. I think it is too dangerous to let these media codecs be written in C since they're used to play untrusted media from unknown sources and they might even autoplay when you visit a website.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Let's hope this will be canned with current talks about spending cuts and money can be diverted to projects that are actually in the tax payers' interests.
        It might be a somewhat controversial opinion, but at least I use ffmpeg on a daily basis wheras we (as German tax payers) don't get to see anything in return for funding bikeways in Peru.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          It is my taxes and I pay enough. If they want to cut taxes they can spend less on cars. 😚

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

It might be a somewhat controversial opinion, but at least I use ffmpeg on a daily basis wheras we (as German tax payers) don't get to see anything in return for funding bikeways in Peru.
            I find the A100 is a much bigger scandal. Why do they build a super expensive highway directly to car burn country? 😎

Comment

It's the lesser evil, yes. But I don't think funding open-source without the goal defined for this to result in paying less for proprietary licenses can be warranted in the tax payers' interest.
              Both projects in this form are display cabinet exhibits to appear like some well-meaning sugar daddy.

Comment

My country is full of corrupt politicians and a dishonest culture which is further worsened by increasing crime rates...

Furthermore, bikeways? Other than in a couple residential areas in Lima, they're nonexistent. Literally. Have to ride in the pedestrian way, or even road.
                Last edited by tildearrow; 16 May 2024, 04:19 PM.

Comment

That's great and FFmpeg totally deserves it for being so necessary to so many people!

But I can't help to not notice how this fund is intentionally avoiding to give anything the KDE organization, which besides, Plasma, has so many projects and it's also trying to make them as power efficient as possible, which for sure requires a lot of resources.
                  Building Energy-Efficient Free Software

I thought that Germany cared about the environment...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

My country is full of corrupt politicians and a dishonest culture which is further worsened by increasing crime rates...

Furthermore, bikeways? Outside residential areas, they're nonexistent. Literally.
                    Are you talking about my country?

Comment

Working...
                    X