Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund Now Supporting FFmpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

It might be a somewhat controversial opinion, but at least I use ffmpeg on a daily basis wheras we (as German tax payers) don't get to see anything in return for funding bikeways in Peru.
    Why would that be controversial? Germans pay tax supposedly to fund services and projects for their own benefit. I wish our government (Australia) acted in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
      Some countries are getting better : russia, india, china, brasil, iran, indonesia, south africa, venezuela, australia, ...
      Wait and see, but they are trying to break free from the usa and the dollar.
      Hey Putin, is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I think FFmpeg needs to be written in a memory-safe language such as Rust. I think it is too dangerous to let these media codecs be written in C since they're used to play untrusted media from unknown sources and they might even autoplay when you visit a website.
        Good point of view!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Why would that be controversial? Germans pay tax supposedly to fund services and projects for their own benefit. I wish our government (Australia) acted in the same way.
          I wish Canada would follow the same path as Germany!

Comment

It might be a somewhat controversial opinion, but at least I use ffmpeg on a daily basis wheras we (as German tax payers) don't get to see anything in return for funding bikeways in Peru.
            The bikeways in Peru are a cheap climate investment: Gifting them bikeways makes lots and lots of cars obsolete. It even was agreed by the former conservatives-led German government.
            Last edited by holunder; 16 May 2024, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

The bakeways in Peru are a cheap climate investment: Gifting them bakeways makes lots and lots of cars obsolete. It even was agreed by the former conservatives-led German government.
              Too bad that a lot of our wealth comes from the car industry and related sectors.

Comment

Ffmpeg is cool, but it's one of those projects I wish had a more modern bug tracker.

Comment

Too bad that a lot of our wealth comes from the car industry and related sectors.
                  Why bad? Few inventions in human history have done as much for economic development, personal emancipation and quality of life improvement as the automobile. That some have an ideological obsession with trying to deny it doesn't change this fact. It's not lost on me that there is a massive overlap between those groups and those who admire authoritarian regimes as long as they are collectivist, like Cuba, Venezuela, and wish to turn the free West into another totalitarian regime where freedom of the individual to live their own life as they wish is repressed.

Years ago there was a Greens party's candidate to the Paris City Council (I think it might have been Noel Mamer but I could be wrong) who famously stated during his campaign that "it's only by making their life hell that we'll get motorists to give up on their cars". He lost. It turns out that for some unfathomable reason, voters didn't believe that the primary responsibility of their elected representatives was to make their life hell and "get them" to do something they didn't want.

Comment

Considering how important FFmpeg is and how widely used it is, 157 thousand Euros for 2024 and 2025 is peanuts.

It's true that the FFmpeg project is not hurting for cash, but The Fund should definitely have given them a lot more.

This is one of the projects that if they didn't exist this would be a fundamentally different computing landscape, they deserve better,

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I think FFmpeg needs to be written in a memory-safe language such as Rust. I think it is too dangerous to let these media codecs be written in C since they're used to play untrusted media from unknown sources and they might even autoplay when you visit a website.
                      This is just too funny!

More importantly it shows a fundamental lack of knowledge of computing in general,

If you, or one of the people that upvoted your comment, would be so kind as to explain to me what exactly you think "playing untrusted media from unknown sources" will do to your computer and how Rust would eliminate that potentiality, that would be great,

In the event that you were making a joke, congratulations, you got me but in my defense I have had a few vodka and cranberry drinks and I am nicely lit up at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X