Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 Sees More Features Merged Ahead Of Plasma 6.1

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 Sees More Features Merged Ahead Of Plasma 6.1

KDE developers had another busy week as more features were merged ahead of next month's Plasma 6.1 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Than you KDE team and Michael for reporting. Plasma 6.0.4 is working great on FC40. I don't have any problems worth mentioning.

Comment

A laptop using the Mesa r300 driver has a black icon for the user icon after clicking the menu, and any activity-cursors are a black box. X11. Wayland is a black screen with a cursor.

of course that’s a backup for a backup of a laptop that rarely sees use.

the message here is that it’s cool plasma 6 works this fluidly on elderly hardware. Supertux never had a better experience to launch from.

Comment

I think we can call Plasma 6.1 the point where wayland became X replacement for vast majority of people. Just one or two use cases are still under development, but that is a fraction of a promille of users that need them.

edit: For a clear majority Plasma 6 was already the wayland transition, me included. But there were a couple minor hiccups, which got corrected in the point releases. So 6.1 will be the release that covers 99% of users transitioning to wayland.
        Last edited by varikonniemi; 11 May 2024, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          I think we can call Plasma 6.1 the point where wayland became X replacement for vast majority of people.
          Yeah, except anyone who uses global hotkeys with multiple keyboard layouts...
          ​​​​​​​https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-116873

Comment

Originally posted by Gryffus View Post

​​​​​​​https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-116873
            And they are probably not among the vast majority of people.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gryffus View Post

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-116873
              I would imagine this will take a looong time until a developer thinks it is important. Maybe you just add the feature yourself, it looks like a trivial implementation.

Comment

Or those using TeamViewer or AnyDesk...

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                  Than you KDE team and Michael for reporting. Plasma 6.0.4 is working great on FC40. I don't have any problems worth mentioning.
                  Same. Running it on 6 machines. 2 Tumbleweed and 4 Slowroll. All still using X though. Nice to see HDR coming together and I'm excited about RDP.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                    And they are probably not among the vast majority of people.....
                    With everything going global these days, more and more people are switching between languages and thus between keyboard layouts.

Comment

Working...
                    X