KDE Plasma 6 Sees More Features Merged Ahead Of Plasma 6.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    I think we can call Plasma 6.1 the point where wayland became X replacement for vast majority of people. Just one or two use cases are still under development, but that is a fraction of a promille of users that need them.

edit: For a clear majority Plasma 6 was already the wayland transition, me included. But there were a couple minor hiccups, which got corrected in the point releases. So 6.1 will be the release that covers 99% of users transitioning to wayland.
    I think Plasma 6 is where KDE devs begin (to forcing) to phase out X. About two months and Plasma-X11 bug that's very annoying--notification on the center of the screen after resume from sleep--still not addressed. Or maybe won't addressed? Planning to migrate to XFCE, but for now, I'm too hooked to KDE Plasma.

Edit: Oh, and gaming's still a hurdle on wayland. Recently I played Diablo 2 Ressurected via Steam via Proton. Everytime the PC sleep or screen goes off, I've to terminate the game (not responsive) and restart the battle.net UI (cannot start/play game). And the in-game is quite stuttering, like when I play dota 2 reborn. Plasma X11 still the best for that.
    Last edited by t.s.; 14 May 2024, 02:17 AM.

Comment

oiaohm
      Forgive me, but I'll try to use your same condescending tone

"a very small subset of users"!?
      Yes, the vast majority of users don't report issues and yet it's the developers' job to fix them.
      Yes, they're excused for not finding all of them.

No, for most users it is not a matter of customizing things a lot, but rather expecting that the few things they have customized will continue to work.
      Yes, this idea that power users are always fixing other people computers is completely made up.
      Yes, sometimes they do.
      No, it's not always.

Yes, you're blaming the user for bugs in the software.
      No, it's not professional, in case you were wondering

PS: No, I won't reply to your next wall of text
      Last edited by JackLilhammers; 15 May 2024, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
        Forgive me, but I'll try to use your same condescending tone
        No I was stating reality.

Yes, the vast majority of users don't report issues and yet it's the developers' job to fix them.
        This false statement. Developers job is to fix known to developer issues. Yes it true a vast majority of users don't report issues this means their issues are fixed by luck that someone who uses a setup like theirs reports issue so the issue gets fixed. Yes even a merge requests in most projects have a requirement to state what the issue they are fixing is. So practical reality here.

​Yes, they're excused for not finding all of them.
        Yes practical reality developers cannot find all issues themselves because they will not have the knowledge of all use cases to find them all.

No, for most users it is not a matter of customizing things a lot, but rather expecting that the few things they have customized will continue to work.
        ​This is also incorrect presume. Developers work flow expects some customization to disappear in future. This is required. Why you are testing application on new version of desktop you don't want some work around fix making it look like it fixed when it still broken as a developer. There is a conflict of expected outcomes.

Some users will expect them to disappear on major updates other users will not. This is really the core bug here. Currently there is no way to mark what customization are work around and so should disappear on a major update and what customization are long term things user wants.

Yes, this idea that power users are always fixing other people computers is completely made up.
        Yes, sometimes they do.
        No, it's not always.
        I did not write always. I wrote most. There are surveys on power users and they do put this at over 90%. Yes this fixing other people computers does directly effect how your configure your own like it or not. Like it or not there have been different surveys include the one at the kde conference raising hands then the following stunned shock horror of everyone in the room. This did lead to KDE expanding their automated test suite. Remember items are only added to automated testsuite because someone reported an issue.

Yes, you're blaming the user for bugs in the software.
        In fact I am not. I accept that developers are humans they cannot know everything. They are not mind readers. A developer personally cannot see a bug in software if the tools they use or their workflow does not expose the bug. A developer cannot see indirectly that a bug exists in software if some third party does not report it by issues and the like.

Like it or not percentage of the responsibility for bugs in software to be fixed does fall on the user because the problem is the developer is not really aware of the use case. There is no point complaining here about issue because something does not work if you have not reported to the developers already.

There is a hard reality here in the way software development has to work. Reporting issues is a key part of the process and if this is not happening things don't go well for different users because the developer is under informed on how their software is in fact used so cannot see the bugs that need fixing for different users these are normally the minority groups of users.

Yes lot of cases these minority users groups with software also think they are some form of majority group so they will not have to report issues making this problem worse by leaving developer in dark about the problems they are suffering from.

.JackLilhammers I was not being condescending what you wrote was not based on reality of how the software development system works..
        Last edited by oiaohm; 15 May 2024, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

I think Plasma 6 is where KDE devs begin (to forcing) to phase out X. About two months and Plasma-X11 bug that's very annoying--notification on the center of the screen after resume from sleep--still not addressed. Or maybe won't addressed? Planning to migrate to XFCE, but for now, I'm too hooked to KDE Plasma.

Edit: Oh, and gaming's still a hurdle on wayland. Recently I played Diablo 2 Ressurected via Steam via Proton. Everytime the PC sleep or screen goes off, I've to terminate the game (not responsive) and restart the battle.net UI (cannot start/play game). And the in-game is quite stuttering, like when I play dota 2 reborn. Plasma X11 still the best for that.
          There is a recent benchmark report on Phoronix that shows X11 and Wayland perform the same with games. I don't play Diablo but cyberpunk 2077 is running perfect without stutters. My configuration is Fedora 40, Plasma 6, Wayland, AMD GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

There is a recent benchmark report on Phoronix that shows X11 and Wayland perform the same with games. I don't play Diablo but cyberpunk 2077 is running perfect without stutters. My configuration is Fedora 40, Plasma 6, Wayland, AMD GPU.
            Maybe because of the GPU? I'm using 5700G, Arch, Plasma 6 X11 and Wayland. I can confirm Dota2Reborn and Diablo 2 Ressurected run more fluidly on X11. AFAIK, some others have experienced this too.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Maybe because of the GPU? I'm using 5700G, Arch, Plasma 6 X11 and Wayland. I can confirm Dota2Reborn and Diablo 2 Ressurected run more fluidly on X11. AFAIK, some others have experienced this too.
              I have a 5700G too. I don't play anything with it. Let me try. I'll post again

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

I have a 5700G too. I don't play anything with it. Let me try. I'll post again
                I tried 5700G and found a problem with the AMD driver but no corruption like you have shown. The problem I have seen is that system locks up when graphics memory overflows. When I reduce the texture quality to reduce memory requirements, everything worked fine. I tested with Cyberpunk 2077 with 720P resolution and low texture quality using kernel 6.9.2 on Plasma 6 and FC40.

If I were you I would check the followings
                - RAM allocation for iGPU is maxed in BIOS
                - Make sure iGPU and CPU are not overclocked
                - Make sure RAM is not overclocked. Use either XMP or system defaults.
                - Reduce resolution and texture quality in the game
                Last edited by mrg666; 26 May 2024, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X