Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon OpenGL Linux Driver Massively Improves 3D Texturing Performance For Older GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon OpenGL Linux Driver Massively Improves 3D Texturing Performance For Older GPUs

Phoronix: Radeon OpenGL Linux Driver Massively Improves 3D Texturing Performance For Older GPUs

Prominent open-source AMD OpenGL driver developer Marek Olšák has merged a new tantalizing set of patches that boost the 3D texturing performance for those using RDNA1 GPUs and older...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good job, this shows that radeon cards for regular consumers are superior choice for now (at least while not just new hardware gets updates and attention from an open driver team). Those who need CUDA - I get you. Those who don't - don't start the holywar, you wouldn't win

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
      Good job, this shows that radeon cards for regular consumers are superior choice for now (at least while not just new hardware gets updates and attention from an open driver team). Those who need CUDA - I get you. Those who don't - don't start the holywar, you wouldn't win
      The best solution for regular consumers are intel gpus, actually. Better value for money. And the fuzzy feeling that you promote competition in the gpu market to fight off the duopoly that has inflated prices for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

The best solution for regular consumers are intel gpus, actually. Better value for money. And the fuzzy feeling that you promote competition in the gpu market to fight off the duopoly that has inflated prices for so long.
        They are taking consequences of their greed right now. Their driver for linux is not in great state as well, especially for games which are using XeSS. So no, thank you. (For now)

Comment

The best solution for regular consumers are intel gpus, actually. Better value for money. (…)
          A lot of things don't work or work poorly due to lackluster Vulkan extension coverage, namely console emulators, DXVK and VKD3D. The hardware itself can do it and the driver will eventually get there, but as of now, I can only recommend Intel GPUs for Office, Webbrowsing, video playback and transcoding.

Comment

lol not even a month ago I finally upgraded my old R9 290, and then this patch comes out. Oh well - still good to see.

Comment

Depends on your wants/values:

RGB - colors of teams.
              Want an appliance that somehow works? G | R | B
              Want performance? G | R
              support opensource? R |B
              Support market newcomer? B
              Full standard compliance? R ( B will probably get there)
              Longevity of support? R | B

I'm team R.

Comment

Value for money is not so great anymore if you start counting power use in your CoL. Arc is really inefficient for now.

Comment

Why there is no such performance upgrade for my Polaris (architecture between Tonga and Vega)?

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post

A lot of things don't work or work poorly due to lackluster Vulkan extension coverage, namely console emulators, DXVK and VKD3D. The hardware itself can do it and the driver will eventually get there, but as of now, I can only recommend Intel GPUs for Office, Webbrowsing, video playback and transcoding.
                    I have been using Intel for years and i can game just fine....

Comment

Working...
                    X