AMD Announces Ryzen Embedded 8000 Series With Focus On Industrial AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Ryzen Embedded 8000 Series With Focus On Industrial AI

Phoronix: AMD Announces Ryzen Embedded 8000 Series With Focus On Industrial AI

AMD today announced the Ryzen Embedded 8000 series processors -- their first AMD embedded chips to offer Ryzen AI with the onboard Neural Processing Unit (NPU). This AMD XDNA NPU support is similar to the existing Ryzen AI on the Ryzen 8000 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are these the same type of cpus that Synology uses in their NAS?

Comment

As far as I can tell, every single Ryzen embedded system from Synology/QNAP is still Zen1 (14nm Global Foundries) based. Ancient tech from 7 years ago (2017). As far as I know this is also what Tesla is STILL shipping still today as base for their car MCU. AMD has long ago announced 2nd and 3rd gen successors (this announcement now is Zen4) but I‘ve never actually seen anything that’s actually being sold with this in any meaningful way. I don’t know what’s going on with Ryzen Embedded but it’s really weird.

Oh and by the way, if you don’t follow CPUs as much: Zen1 was NOT that great. It was a breath of fresh air because it brought 8 cores instead of Intels 4 cores to the market. And now guess what Ryzen embedded Gen1 doesn’t have… many cores.

Comment

In "embedded world" things take longer. That is normal. Devices are made to last. Built into machines. These are to last. A circuitry and SW is developed and matured. You do not change this all so often; as this would mean new development cost, just lots of differences and possibility of introducing mistakes.
        There was a reason that the Geode LX series was around officially til 2014? 2016?

And Zen1 was already pretty good; just that its successors were even better. ;-)

Of course in desktop world one would wish for some lower end/low power machines with updated hardware more often, and here AMD lacks some offers. The APUs had a few in the early days and then for long nothing, only 6-cores and above for 300+ Euros/USD. Good machines, but nothing you'd really want in some small server, surfing station, HTPC, whatever. Maybe with theit new 4c/4C 5c/5C stuff there might be something upcoming.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by anybody View Post
          by the way, if you don’t follow CPUs as much: Zen1 was NOT that great. It was a breath of fresh air because it brought 8 cores instead of Intels 4 cores to the market.
          It had over 50% greater IPC than AMD's prior cores. That's something.

Also, it probably compares pretty well to a Raspberry Pi 5. So, to some extent, it's a matter of perspective.

Comment

Can someone please explain me what is an "industrial AI" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
              Can someone please explain me what is an "industrial AI" ?
              They're probably talking about the industrial computing market, where you have boards designed for high uptime and like 10-year service life, to be embedded in things like industrial automation equipment.

So, now consider introducing boards containing embedded AI accelerators into such a market. I think that's what they mean.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                They're probably talking about the industrial computing market, where you have boards designed for high uptime and like 10-year service life, to be embedded in things like industrial automation equipment.

So, now consider introducing boards containing embedded AI accelerators into such a market. I think that's what they mean.

AI is a trend, so sellers like AMD and ngreedia put it everywhere....
                In several years AI will be forgotten, it is just a marketing trend....

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
                  AI is a trend, so sellers like AMD and ngreedia put it everywhere....
                  In several years AI will be forgotten, it is just a marketing trend....
                  Whatever... but they're not just using a buzzword as an empty promise. The point is that it actually has an XDNA engine that's designed to accelerate AI workloads.

Maybe the AI will turn out to be like another trend you might've heard of: the "Internet".

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Whatever... but they're not just using a buzzword as an empty promise. The point is that it actually has an XDNA engine that's designed to accelerate AI workloads.

Maybe the AI will turn out to be like another trend you might've heard of: the "Internet".
                    oh you too have bought the AI trend , how sweet.

Comment

Working...
                    X