No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Use Increases - Moves Closer To 2%, AMD CPU Linux Use Hits 72%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Use Increases - Moves Closer To 2%, AMD CPU Linux Use Hits 72%

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Use Increases - Moves Closer To 2%, AMD CPU Linux Use Hits 72%

No, nothing to do with April Fools' Day, but the Steam Survey results are out for March 2024 and they put the Steam on Linux use inching up -- back closer to the Linux gaming highs of around 2%...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is traditional to check how many Linux desktop/laptop:

AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405 - 34.39%.
    Linux - 1.94%

1.94 * (1 - 0.344) = 1.272%

I must say that nicely now linux dektop/laptop has grown.

In another 10 years maybe it will be 3%. Or maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Linux - 1.94%

Impressive, in an era when everyone is migrating to phones and tablets.

Comment

Honestly, it is just inertia that prevents more people to come to Linux at this point. The Linux desktop in 2024 is in a wonderful place. There are some limitations and issues still, yes, but honestly, since i have been using Linux on the desktop since the late 90s personally, it is easy for me to notice the difference and the improvements. There are so many things now that were unthinkable for me back then, including how accessible gaming is on the Linux desktop these days, and with open source gpu drivers at that!

Of course, it depends on what your gaming habits are. I am a dinosaur, and i am not on the AAA gaming bandwagon anymore, even Starfield didn't do it for me and i am an Elder Scrolls and Fallout fan... Though Starfield is playable on Linux i think. The vast majority of indy games, which are the games i typically buy these days, are easily playable on Linux and many have native ports too. And Blizzard games are playable too, last month i returned to Heroes of The Storm and Diablo 3, two of my favorites, and they ran FLAWLESSLY under WINE. I never feel like i am missing anything on Linux, but then, i am not a teenaged gamer-streamer looking to always play the latest FAD with intrusive anti-cheat that blocks it on Linux...

Comment

So I tick off February just as a statistical outlier, like a random spike in power and then never happen again (WOW... [get anyone the reference?]). Such a huge drop off in one month and then back to almost exact same value next month sounds fishy to me.

Comment

Linux - 1.94%

Linux market share has almost doubled in a year, so 3% should be around the same time next year. But I'm not surprised about your inability to extrapolate data.
            Last edited by dlq84; 02 April 2024, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Since I switched to my 7900 xtx, i have never received a survey, neither when i was using winblows or after i moved to ChimeraOS.

Talking about that, I wonder if such systems are counted automatically without the need of the survey.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
                Since I switched to my 7900 xtx, i have never received a survey, neither when i was using winblows or after i moved to ChimeraOS.

Talking about that, I wonder if such systems are counted automatically without the need of the survey.
                No, you get the survey on Windows too. I went years without ever getting it on Windows or Linux. Then there was a patch of time where I got it on every fresh install of either one (I was playing around with configuration scripting so it happened a bunch).

Comment

Linux - 1.94%

The second line in the GPU chart is also the Steam Deck. Van Gogh is the custom APU's codename. I think newer Mesa versions report the second line.

AMD Radeon Graphics (RADV VANGOGH) - 9.93%
                  Linux - 1.94%

1.94% * (1 - 0.3439 - 0.0993 ) = 1.08%

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

No, you get the survey on Windows too. I went years without ever getting it on Windows or Linux. Then there was a patch of time where I got it on every fresh install of either one (I was playing around with configuration scripting so it happened a bunch).
                    My understanding is that “triggered” surveys are not counted by Valve.

in over 10 years or more, i got the survey once, when i swapped my 6900 xt for my old gtx970 to test something.

But never with an AMD gpu installed.

Funny enough, many others express the same experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X