Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 12 "Bookworm" Hits Its First Freeze

Phoronix: Debian 12 "Bookworm" Hits Its First Freeze

Debian 12 (codenamed "Bookworm") is expected to be released later this year and as such the first of several code/package freezes has begun...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this will be a great summer release!

Comment

I forget when the kernel is frozen, but I really hope the new LTS is announced before then...

Comment

Originally posted by ATLief View Post
        I forget when the kernel is frozen, but I really hope the new LTS is announced before then...
        According to this, potentially Kernel 6.1 which has already been released. But not yet selected for LTS.

Comment

Well, according to packages.debian.org, they have indeed pulled in 6.1. I was a bit afraid there were enough Rust-allergic people to veto the bump.

Comment

Planning to build a new workstation in 6 months, sounds like perfect timing to run Debian 12.

Was considering running KDE Neon but I prefer Debian to Ubuntu. Unfortunately there are no beleeding edge Debian KDE distros unless I risk it with Debian Testing which I don't think is a good idea for a workstation.

Comment

I wish it will come with Linux 6.2 as the kernel as it has a lot of storage and power efficiency improvements.
              And considering it will run on many servers, it will be better to help with climate changes too.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                Planning to build a new workstation in 6 months, sounds like perfect timing to run Debian 12.

Was considering running KDE Neon but I prefer Debian to Ubuntu. Unfortunately there are no beleeding edge Debian KDE distros unless I risk it with Debian Testing which I don't think is a good idea for a workstation.
                i think sparky Linux has an unstable branch. or is it based off of sid

Comment

6.1 is too unstable. You'll get 5.15 and you'll like it (or maybe you won't).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I wish it will come with Linux 6.2 as the kernel as it has a lot of storage and power efficiency improvements.
                    And considering it will run on many servers, it will be better to help with climate changes too.
                    It won't. 6.2 will both miss the freeze and not be LTS.

Comment

Working...
                    X