Open-Source AMD Linux Driver Gets Ready For 50% More VGPRs With RDNA3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Affordable real time ray tracing was invented/implemented by NVIDIA. I know it hurts but it's a fucking fact.
    Crytek, you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post

Crytek, you mean?
      Crytek is a software company. Their RTRT software implementation is slow as fuck and comes with a ton of limitations.

Comment

Crytek is a software company. Their RTRT software implementation is slow as fuck and comes with a ton of limitations.
        Still means Nvidia didn't invent anything.

Comment

Yeah, AMD fans have problems with logic, nothing new here.

Comment

Yeah, AMD fans have problems with logic, nothing new here.
            I tried to clue you in into not generalizing "AMD Fans", but you can't take the hint, can you?

Did AMD itself hurt you? Why so riled up?

Fun fact: what you tried to say before this had some content merit, but could be said without the angry tone, and people would respect it a lot more then.

Fun fact 2: Phoronix is not more interesting when the comments are filled with ego battles, it's more interesting when people bring more meat to the article subject.

PS: you keep talking about AMD fans, but you're the one adding an inane "Nvidia's undeniable superiority" catchphrase on top of someone else's more technical argument... in an article about AMD, in a forum with predominantly opensource fans... maybe not doing that will avoid making you see so much AMD Fan postings and keep you in a happier place? What you did could be seen as Nvidia fanatism too, you know...
            Last edited by marlock; 03 November 2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, they did invent something... not the general concept and not the first on-the-fly method, but the first sufficiently optimized method over a sufficiently optimized hardware and their (proprietary) API to interface with this that could ship the tech to a PC.

"Who did it first" is sometimes a moot point. IMHO this is one of those cases.
              Last edited by marlock; 03 November 2022, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Affordable real time ray tracing was invented/implemented by NVIDIA. I know it hurts but it's a fucking fact.
                Wrong. Imagination delivered it years before Nvidia launched the RTX 2000 series. According to this, they had actual hardware for sale in March, 2013:

I know it hurts, but it's a fucking fact.
                Last edited by coder; 04 November 2022, 12:59 PM. Reason: Fixed link (thanks marlock!)

Comment

Anyway, now we know why they had to increase the register file. Having gone dual-issue, you obviously need more registers to help feed the beast.

Comment

coder the link you posted is broken

I did find another interesting feat by Imagination: mobile realtime RT!
                    A revolutionary 3D graphics technology that mimics how light behaves in the real world to create visuals with astonishing realism.
                    Last edited by marlock; 04 November 2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
                      coder the link you posted is broken

I did find another interesting feat by Imagination: mobile realtime RT!
                      https://www.imaginationtech.com/products/ray-tracing/​
                      Thanks! The link in my post should now be fixed.

When I first saw that article on SemiAccurate, I figured Apple was about to be first in the industry with realtime raytraced games. Maybe that was the idea, but it was a casualty of the fallout between them and Imagination?

BTW, I had to remove the %-codes from the end of yours!
                      Last edited by coder; 04 November 2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X