AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abott View Post

A massive improvement would put them 2 years behind the curve. These cards are supposed to be at least half new, and they're still garbage.
    Their cards right now are very competitve with NVidia's current lineup, in price, performance, and power usage. Not winning, but competitive. Certainly not 2 years behind.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Their cards right now are very competitve with NVidia's current lineup, in price, performance, and power usage. Not winning, but competitive. Certainly not 2 years behind.
      What card at they competing with? 2070? Sure, but that card is two years old.

They are two years behind. Right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        What about something like the RX550 ? IIRC it's a bit faster than the GTX 1030 and in the same price range.
        No VP9 decode is a deal-breaker for me. I have no reason to upgrade my GTX950 even though I'd really, really, really, like to support AMD. I guess I'm in the minority here. *Shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

What card at they competing with? 2070? Sure, but that card is two years old.

They are two years behind. Right now.
          The Super lineup, which basically came out at the same time that AMD's new cards did. That's the newest thing NVidia has. If they aren't able to have newer lineups, that's on them - it doesn't mean they are immune to being compared with their competition.

That'd be like saying the Ryzen 2 CPUs suck because they're competing with a 5 year old cpu architecture from Intel. If that's all your competition has, that's all they have.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 22 January 2020, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

It works fine resuming from sleep?
            No, not resume itself, after resume from sleep on my laptop I had heavily corrupted bitmaps - backgrounds, icons, etc. Nouveau don't have such problem, Windows driver neither.
            Quadro K3000M is handled by NVIDA legacy driver, so that driver itself might be an issue, as nvidia have included some kind of support service for newer driver.
            Last edited by blacknova; 22 January 2020, 03:28 AM.

Comment

With the 5700 coming in at $300 it makes me wonder, why the Vega 64 is still around $350 mostly. A price drop seems to be expected here as well.

I'll still stick to the Vega 64 until big navi gets released, cause the linux driver is just perfect for it atm.

Little side note: in Shadow of the Tomb Raider I get about 10 fps more on a watercooled Vega 64 with the latest amdgpu-pro 18.50 (just the vulkan icd extracted from the package, rest on mesa 20-devel).
              Last edited by ntropy; 22 January 2020, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

AMD isn't the inventor of OpenCL. That's Apple.
                True but it is/was there advertised API for making use of the GPU as numbercruncher. CUDA as Nvidias pendant is closed source.

Comment

Total War and Strange Brigade go to unacceptable minimum FPS levels (sub 25) across almost every card.

I wonder if that's game design errors where poorly optimized scenes are being hit during the test, or if those minimum are quite frequent stuttering events that a player would experience.

If I was developing a game, I'd setup tooling to spot whenever the game dips below AVERAGE_FPS/2. I'd consider it a bug either in the code or the scene/assets.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    ....As for playing shenanigans - almost all commercial companies are not immune to that. I vividly remember how AMD released $1000 AMD64 CPUs when Intel was stuck with their Pentium 4 architecture. AMD fans forget that so easily.
                    You are right but maybe it is forgotten because Intel has mastered that black magic. 1000$ is almost cheap for intels professional range http://www.cpu-world.com/Price_Compa...latest%29.html

btw Nvidia... 3.5GB = 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I see you can't live without personal insults. Nice! That's very endemic to fanboys from any camp, be it open source, Mac, Windows, Android, iOS. Shows really nothing except that you're a hateful mentally challenged individual who's incapable of having a quality conversation.
                      A random mostly empty article pans NVIDIA. Wow. A revelation. And it contains mostly outdated info but since NVIDIA users simply don't care and AMD fans love to see the criticism, so we have what we have here. Meanwhile, the games that are using NVIDIA-works feature hair, fur, and grass which most other games still don't have in any capacity or quality.
                      What a poor discussion we have here but I'm not surprised.
                      So I also want a quality discussion but it can be considered as insulting as well if you try to sell us that nvidias gameworks is open.
                      Therefore you might also provide higher quality posts.

TressFX is under MIT - Hairworks as a part of Gameworks is closed. Just opensource some code samples on git doesnt make it an open implementation.

Comment

Working...
                      X