Firefox Developers Still Hesitant About Using EGL Over GLX On X11 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

So instead of finishing what they started, they shoud just throw it all out and start over, while we wait another few years?
    We should probably just run a different browser. That seems to be what everyone else is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

We should probably just run a different browser. That seems to be what everyone else is doing.
      It looks like I want to use Firefox too much. On the other hand Chromium-vaapi runs much better.

Comment

Pretty much only WebKitGTK+ cares for Linux.

Comment

I just run vivaldi with --no-sandbox, seems pretty good.

Comment

Maybe they should just give an EOL date for GLX forcing people to either move to EGL or have nothing

Comment

Open-source doesn't really work that way,.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

So instead of finishing what they started, they shoud just throw it all out and start over, while we wait another few years?
                WebRender is essentially throwing it all out anyway to make a new renderer from scratch, and its design aligns well with using Vulkan. It was in their plans anyway.

As far as I know, they aren't going to use Vulkan directly, but rather through gfx-rs (I'd prefer them to use Vulkano, but they have to resort to lock-in workarounds instead).

See here: https://github.com/szeged/webrender/commits/master

I don't expect Firefox to support Wayland, until switch to WebRender is complete anyway. So it will be XWayland until then.
                Last edited by shmerl; 27 May 2018, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Michael : Stransky has send out patches to make glx/egl a run-time switch: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1460255

It should be the last remaining bug preventing the wayland build to run accelerated layers, webgl and webrender (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1438144)

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                    From what I saw when last time I tried EGL on FF: it forces GLES and uses some kind of fucked-up even-more-unmaintained codepath that works like absolute shit. It's not EGL at fault but completely broken and abandoned acceleration of FF on Linux in general.
                    *facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Maybe they should just give an EOL date for GLX forcing people to either move to EGL or have nothing
                      So Wayland is 10 years old and Windows XP still supported

This is what happens when someone tries to be nice and some people does not realise how they should replace their more than 5-6 years old hardware, because that is a period where actually upstream support really exists

On the other hand, there is a different power which says "why should i drop something old which works and to replace it with something new-old if that still does not work nice"
                      Last edited by dungeon; 27 May 2018, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X