Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Formally Rolls Out Pipewire For Being The "Video Equivalent of PulseAudio"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Screen capture in a secure manner?

Is that DRM to prevent me from recording whats on my screen?
    This time, the "secure" actually is to your benefit. It's about ensuring that screen capture can only be done with your consent so programs can't use screen capture as a way to partially sidestep the application sandboxing.

The idea being:
    1. The Wayland protocol provides no APIs for requesting access to resources of other applications, like the rendered visuals.
    2. Any screen capture the compositor implements will prompt the user for permission to enable it, and only expose the resulting video stream to the application which requested it.
    3. The compositor won't provide any means for software to inject synthetic input events into the system which prompts for consent.
    Think UAC, but for granting permission to begin a screencast.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Will it take years until it's ready and shipped by default like PulseAudio?
      if it makes its debut in Fedora it's nearly ready.
      It will probably suck ass in Ubuntu for years for unknown reasons, so we will get people flaming it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        So missing hardware acceleration?
        It is not a multimedia framework, hardware acceleration is still done by GStreamer.

Comment

From the blog: "So I strongly recommend grabbing the Fedora Workstation 27 beta to..."

Is beta already available for download?

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
            From the blog: "So I strongly recommend grabbing the Fedora Workstation 27 beta to..."

Is beta already available for download?
            It got slightly delayed, but should be out in a few days

Comment

So, is this something OBS should be taking advantage of in order to work under Wayland? Or would OBS streaming still require something different Wayland- or implementation-wise?

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                So, is this something OBS should be taking advantage of in order to work under Wayland? Or would OBS streaming still require something different Wayland- or implementation-wise?
                Yes, Pipewire should be a good fit for OBS

Comment

can possible dissable gstreamer? or is mandatory. if is mandatory, I'm gone

Comment

I think this is very needed from the security aspect - like the user should have the control of which application uses which webcam or desktop grab. Common API for all the video inputs and seamless switching between those is also a plus. I also see some things that were just not possible until now, like a static "avatar" image as a input which would work transparently on all applications (that support Pipewire) and maybe things like muxing inputs to have PIP of more webcams and desktops with or without effects.

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
                      can possible dissable gstreamer? or is mandatory. if is mandatory, I'm gone
                      Pipewire has no GStreamer dependency, although we might have some GStreamer using sample applications, if that is the case these are or should be possible to disable in the build system.

Comment

Working...
                      X