Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think THOMSON TG782 has it
    That device is like a decade old, though, even if still used by ISPs. (god I don't even want to know how easy it gets pwnz0red)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

"We hope that publishing this information will help Internet providers, website owners, and policy makers as the industry rolls out IPv6."

Those are not ordinary people. In a home LAN, you do nothing with ipv6.
      US is not the rest of the world ...
      there are several places where you get native ipv6 and everything works fine. The key and what is holding things back are the ISPs, where most are waiting for the sites to support IPV6, but now with many big sites supporting it, they keep not deploying it... even when the hardware support it...

At least here in Portugal, the main ISP (PT) have native ipv6, the second one (NOS) its in "beta testing" for several years and the third one (vodafone) have native, but it's still slowly deploying it to everyone (if you ask for ipv6, they give it in 2 days, if not, you should getting in during the next months)

Comment

Originally posted by higuita View Post

US is not the rest of the world ...
        there are several places where you get native ipv6 and everything works fine. The key and what is holding things back are the ISPs, where most are waiting for the sites to support IPV6, but now with many big sites supporting it, they keep not deploying it... even when the hardware support it...

At least here in Portugal, the main ISP (PT) have native ipv6, the second one (NOS) its in "beta testing" for several years and the third one (vodafone) have native, but it's still slowly deploying it to everyone (if you ask for ipv6, they give it in 2 days, if not, you should getting in during the next months)
        The thing is, as long as ISPs have to support IPv4, IPv6 is nothing but added cost to them. Which I believe is the problem IPv10 is trying to fix: let the ISP configure one protocol and one protocol only and be able to talk to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          I admit my ignorance in the matter .... but ipv6 does not use anyone, most people disable it and now talk about ipv10? It looks like a mad world!
          Seriously? I use IPv6 every day and expect all decent ISPs to provide global IPv6 addresses. Here in Central Europe anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bonob View Post
            That just made me think, if I interviewed an applicant for my company, and wanted to check his general knowledge about IT, an interesting question could be: "What do you think are the 3 most difficult transitions in the history of computers".
            The 2 first hands down should be 32 bits > 64 bits and IPv4 > IPv6. Then for the 3rd I'm thinking year 2000 or euro, but it didn't make any actual wave. Then GMT > UTC, but this is not really a transition, it's just time zones and time synchro is a difficult topic. Any other idea?
            Actually building one (digital electronic computer that is) took way longer than any of those you list. Also, you seem to be going for fuzzy transitions. It's a bit hard to measure how much time any of those took, considering there are still 32bit CPUs and Operating Systems being used today. So, from that angle, you could say the transition from Windows XP to newer OSs on home computers also took a very long time (still ongoing). Same thing for IE6-8 to anything else more modern. UNIX -> Linux on super computers also seems to have taken quite a few years.

And I'm sure people older and/or more knowledgeable than me would provide a lot more examples as well. I don't think there's a correct answer to that question.

Hmm.... sorry for the off-topic.... go IPv6!!!

Comment

I love these "In Europe, blah blah" comments. The US has 35.26% ipv6 adoption rate, higher than any European country except Belgium.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

LAN ipv4 addresses dont cost a thing. And i said this is more for servers(or in this case a router). than it is anything for consumers.
                Fine. So, suppose you are using some P2P protocol ( voice, messaging). How does one client behind the NAT contacts another behind its own NAT ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

Fine. So, suppose you are using some P2P protocol ( voice, messaging). How does one client behind the NAT contacts another behind its own NAT ?

It's a process called port forwarding. I think most modern routers though call it something else and do it automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Really, do they? I haven't seen any support on my cable from Elisa. Quick checking on the Internet seems to indicate that no one else has either. These are from a few months ago (in Finnish, apologies for anyone that can't read it):
                    https://twitter.com/Elisa_aspa/statu...95702097883136
                    https://palsta.elisa.fi/laajakaistal...tilanne-506132

IPv6 on mobile on the other hand is very much in use on most operators as far as I know.
                    My bad. I was referring to former HTV customers who landed in DNA network. Every DNA customer has IPv6

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                      I love these "In Europe, blah blah" comments. The US has 35.26% ipv6 adoption rate, higher than any European country except Belgium.
                      Exactly,. It's getting silently adopted. IPv6 isn't something people are ready to pay for so it comes on the side as operators get new hardware that makes its cost negligible. I wasn't doing Finland vs other places, just saying that 99% of users will never notice the switch to IPv6. They haven't now and it's already well underway

Comment

Working...
                      X