Artem Tashkinov: Independent Hardware Vendors Hate Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Sounds to me like you need to upgrade and buy AMD products my friend. Not all, but most of what you just bitched about will suddenly disappear from your life.
    Yeah, I've heard this excuse a thousand times - "You wanna use Linux? Throw away your perfectly working hardware which is 100% functional and bugs free under some proprietary OS and buy something for Linux instead". This won't get us anywhere.

Only a few people could actually see the light at the end of this article. It was written to highlight the fact that something must be done about the laws governing the development and support of hardware devices, because this issue applies to Windows no less. Like it's been already mentioned this model: "write your device drivers once and forget about proper support" plagues the hardware industry all the time. Android devices are the worst offenders by far. Even Google doesn't have enough sway to make IHVs properly support their chips past a certain date (which is often less than 12 months from the start of device availability).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Yeah, I've heard this excuse a thousand times - "You wanna use Linux? Throw away your perfectly working hardware which is 100% functional and bugs free under some proprietary OS and buy something for Linux instead". This won't get us anywhere.

Only a few people could actually see the light at the end of this article. It was written to highlight the fact that something must be done about the laws governing the development and support of hardware devices, because this issue applies to Windows no less. Like it's already mentioned this model: "write your device drivers once and forget about proper support" plagues the hardware industry all the time. Android devices are the worst offenders by far. Even Google doesn't have enough sway to make IHVs properly support their chips past a certain date (which is often less than 12 months from the start of device availability).
      You're sitting there on a 6 year old Intel system and telling me it's 100% stable. That's a good laugh... haha

EDIT: I dare you to install eve online on Windows.... Then just undock and warp through the next stargate..... If it doesn't reset the GPU, I'd be surprised, really.
      Last edited by duby229; 01 August 2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

[quote]
        Linux kernel developers love to say, "release your specs and we'll write the code for you" and while it's true, too often they don't have the resources to properly debug the code on a multitude of different devices and devices combinations. More often than not they don't even have the necessary hardware! They don't have the resources to verify the code after large API changes.
        [/quo

While true about the lack of resource, it did not stop some contributors going to buy that hardware used by the reporter to fully reproduce the bug and publish the result so the main kernel developers can work on a suggestion. Case in the point is the ACPI were hotkey function failed to work as intended in Linux kernel due to a change inside BIOS starting from Windows 8.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Find me a set of common and popular enough hardware produced in the past two years which doesn't have at least a few warnings and errors on kernel boot. Huh? "Supported" configurations, my a$$. None of you still understand the point of the article - it's not about declaring "support", it's about fully supporting something without warnings, errors, quirks, unsupported features and undefined behavior. My six years old motherboard is still not fully supported by kernel 4.12. The motherboard itself. There are unsupported ACPI features, software suspend doesn't always work, a lot of hardware sensors are not detected. Certain bluetooth features are not exposed. Hardware RAID is not supported at all(!).
          Which brand of motherboard? Some issues may be related the change from BIOS dating to the release of Windows 8.
          Factors to take account is the bad practice from BIOS vendors not documenting those changes. Some features may be useless and requires specific drivers provided by the vendor i.e. Performance Boost by pressing a button which is not found even on stock closed source operating system

Comment

there is no gnu/linux. there is linux and it is dominating operating system. this guy is crazy

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Couldn't they just write their own drivers?
              they do write their own drivers, whole linux kernel is made of their own drivers

Comment

This is why I cannot take this guys seriously:
                His reaction is totally pathetic.

EDIT: OMG wtf is wrong with this forum.. I cannot post links, images nor upload attachments..
                So here an edited link: i.imgur.com/FF0Lsff.png
                Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 01 August 2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Which brand of motherboard? Some issues may be related the change from BIOS dating to the release of Windows 8.
                  Factors to take account is the bad practice from BIOS vendors not documenting those changes. Some features may be useless and requires specific drivers provided by the vendor i.e. Performance Boost by pressing a button which is not found even on stock closed source operating system
                  Asus no less, based on the P67 chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                    The desktop is another story completely
                    the only growing desktop segment is linux (chromeos)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      depending on what card you have opengl might not be the latest. Opencl might not work etc etc.
                      not latest opengl and not working opencl can be only with mesa. with proprietary driver opengl will be latest and opencl will work. competing oses don't have mesa at all, they have only proprietary drivers, so linux is strictly better in hardware support

Comment

Working...
                      X