No announcement yet.

Artem Tashkinov: Independent Hardware Vendors Hate Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're going to laugh but a lot of keyboards (right, keyboards) aren't properly supported under Linux.
    What is he talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Such innocence, grasshopper... Once the market is saturated, it's saturated and that's that.
      Look at how Microsoft failed in the smartphone space with an OS that has received generally good reviews. The smartphone market was booming when that happened and users still didn't care for a third player. And now think that on the desktop, a waning market, Wayland is all that's missing for Linux to take off?
      the market is saturated however I mentioned just a specific category of users which are interest in hardware optimization to gain advantages from the operating system: the gamers. The gamer is not so interested in the operating system if not to get that benefit to compete well in competitive scenario. Now what happen when a good news is shared? The good news is widespread. If the gamer get an increase of performance in gaming of 10% what operating system he choses? the best.

Comment

Come on, is a question of when(and not IF) open source drivers will be available for large categories of hardware devices, running Linux kernel with proprietary blobs/drivers.
        Is a problem of man power, which keep open sources drivers not advancing fast enough to be in pair with their proprietary counterparts, eliminating the need for Libhybris,(very) outdated kernels. Even with newest OpenGL/Vulkan standards in case of video hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

the market is saturated however I mentioned just a specific category of users which are interest in hardware optimization to gain advantages from the operating system: the gamers. The gamer is not so interested in the operating system if not to get that benefit to compete well in competitive scenario. Now what happen when a good news is shared? The good news is widespread. If the gamer get an increase of performance in gaming of 10% what operating system he choses? the best.
          So... you're saying we should all get consoles?
          For better or worse, games work on Windows. No gamer is going to give a rat's ass an OS somewhere got some internal change and can now display images. Oh wait, we can already do that.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            if you develop your own OS and the only hardware vendors that still develop their own OS and sell their own hardware that I can think of are Apple, Microsoft and Cisco.
            Lol, what? Aren't you forgetting a few? HP (HP-UX on Integrity), IBM (AIX on POWER), Sun (Solaris on SPARC64), Fujitsu, SGI, Cray, Sunway, etc. all develop their own OS on their own proprietary hardware.

And that doesn't even include mainframes, like AS/400, HP 3000, etc. Yes, even in 2017, mainframes are a multi $Billion business.

Also, you listed Cisco, but most Cisco stuff these days is running Linux under the hood - Cisco iOS is simply a userspace layer.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 01 August 2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Same old tired flamebait arguments. I'm not saying that some of the points about Linux's drawbacks aren't valid, but they're not exactly earth-shattering news. I normally support what Michael chooses to post, but can't understand WTF he was thinking here, except for maybe clickbait.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Same old tired flamebait arguments. I'm not saying that some of the points about Linux's drawbacks aren't valid, but they're not exactly earth-shattering news. I normally support what Michael chooses to post, but can't understand WTF he was thinking here, except for maybe clickbait.
                Tru dat. It's not highlighting some (perceived) weaknesses with Linux is going to spark a constructive thread on the internet. Much less among users that don't actually contribute to Linux

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

So... you're saying we should all get consoles?
                  For better or worse, games work on Windows. No gamer is going to give a rat's ass an OS somewhere got some internal change and can now display images. Oh wait, we can already do that.
                  you are not very well informed: gamer doesn't use the console he uses the computer to play games because the computer is better than the console.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Sure. But at least someone can do something to make it better (look at radv). Windows and macOS are showing exactly what happens with closed source drivers. Nobody fixes anything long-term. I know that it does not happen with every Open Source driver but you can't say "this driver there does not work, so every open source driver is useless".
                    ... which I have never once said. The fact of the matter is that someone needs to do the fixing and even in the open driver most things are done by AMD themselves, which they could also do in a closed driver. Don't get me wrong. I think open drivers are good for many reasons but this is not even the discussion at hand. The discussion is: Is the constantly changing ABI in the kernel hampering broader/better driver support in Linux?

Comment

By the time it took him to write this rant he could have already bisected it, what an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                      X