Artem Tashkinov: Independent Hardware Vendors Hate Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
    The discussion is: Is the constantly changing ABI in the kernel hampering broader/better driver support in Linux?
    no, it improves driver support in linux

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
      Why would I buy a $300+ GPU
      99% of people do not buy $300+ GPU. you are minority

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
        Consider you've developer piece of hardware, have driver ready for all target OSs, and move you development teams to next project (it's a life after all). Your driver is closed source since you
        are criminal. closed linux kernel drivers are illegal

Comment

Did you even notice that the only OSes that suffer from that the most are Linux kernel based?
          you mean the os which dominates all markets except desktop(due to ms monopoly abuse) and has overwhelmingly better hardware support than all competition combined? ms openly stated they can't compete with linux kernel
          Is it really that necessary to break kernel API, so often?
          yes, all other methods can't compete with linux
          Somehow most operating systems manage to introduce support for new technology, buses and trinkets without changing everything in process.
          somehow you live in alternative reality in which users of sb xfi weren't left without drivers with release of win7
          The only reason linux became so popular is that AT&T lawsuite against 386BSD was at the same timeframe of Linux first releases. I doubt it would have gathered the same level of popularity overwise, not with the same development methods.
          i doubt your iq is larger than your feet size. linux dominates exactly because of its development methods

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Linux fanboys just cannot understand one simple thing - in most cases only the companies creating the hardware have the resources and the knowledge to maintain their hardware drivers in the kernel.
            linux haters just cannot understand one simple thing - in most cases only the companies creating the hardware are "linux developers" in the first place. largest linux developer is intel and most of linux developers are ihv

Comment

Not sure what you're talking about. Comments are perfectly allowed and there's already almost a dozen of them.

Edit: Disqus has technical issues at the moment. Perhaps all the websites which employ the Disqus comments are run by douche bags.

Edit 2: if you wait for a minute the comments will load and you're free to add yours.
              Comments are "now" allowed, at time I visited the website, only 9 comments were there and the guy closed the posting.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterCool View Post

Comments are "now" allowed, at time I visited the website, only 9 comments were there and the guy closed the posting.
                There was a mistake and it was corrected. I still wonder why you needed to resort to ad hominem attacks.

Comment

Everyone here is so amazed by open source radeon drivers but they are so good only because AMD spends quite a lot of money and resources to make it possible.
                  everyone here is so amazed by userspace driver developed by two people

Comment

Find me a set of common and popular enough hardware produced in the past two years which doesn't have at least a few warnings and errors on kernel boot. Huh?
                    moron, if you don't see warnings on windows, it does not mean windows driver is better
                    it's about fully supporting something
                    linux has best hardware support among all operating systems for more than decade. but it is easy to ignore facts if you are imbecile

Comment

Yeah, I've heard this excuse a thousand times - "You wanna use Linux? Throw away your perfectly working hardware which is 100% functional and bugs free under some proprietary OS and buy something for Linux instead".
                      what makes you think your shit is 100% functional and bugs free under windows? most of bsods are attributed to nvidia windows driver
                      Only a few people could actually see the light at the end of this article
                      only a few people have your problems

Comment

Working...
                      X