Mark Shuttleworth Makes More Comments On Ubuntu GNOME, Mir, Convergence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by existensil View Post
    "open source is not for creating parallel projects" while following it up with a laundry list of desktop environments he likes without a hint of irony
    How do you know I like them? What is your source?
    And should I always give a hint like: 'Here I am using irony and here sarcasm'? Don't play with the words. I can also manipulate someones comment but I don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Besides, the integration bits have to be maintained by someone. It's great that SDL2 doesn't mind maintaining them for their project. But not everyone has that kind of resources to spare, nor did Canonical have the resources to maintain all of them on their own.
      Canonical maintained all those Mir ports, so it's self-evident Canonical had the resources to maintain those Mir ports. Canonical has not cancelled Mir. Your arguments has lost a lot of steam.
      Thanks, I guess? Of all the threads, ones like this require constructive criticism rather than insults. Mind you, you haven't really been contributing much to it by just pointing out "hate".
      Sure. But I have a long trail of posts across a lot of social media sites in which I try to fight disinformation and hate with actual verifiable facts. At this point, my only reaction to the venomous spew that gets on me when the haters unzip and pull out their undersized hairy egos and wave them around in public is to politely acknowledge it and move on. I find a quiet and polite acceptance softens their excitement better than any other reaction.

Comment

I'm delighted Mark Shuttleworth raised the topic of free software developers who behave badly. He is not the first to do so. Dirk Hohndel did so too. A let us not forget the intense hatred directed toward Miguel de Icaza, which is absolutely shameful.

Dirk's comments on his experiences were a major part of the reason I switched my free software project's code base to Qt from Gtk+. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one....
        Last edited by damonlynch; 08 April 2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post

Yes, lets make everything uniform, lets make everything have same approach, non contributors of type A would love that.

He obviously didn't control any DE and couldn't implement his ideas. Unity's heads up display is the most innovative feature any desktop environment has implemented in years which wouldn't be possible without him creating new desktop environment.

Appimage doesn't sandbox apps.
          It is funny that some people don't understand my comment. In the same you referred to I named other des, but those that are used as default des or developed especially for certain distributions.

I can't believe in lack of his influence if it comes to decisions making. Let me quote you here: -> "He obviously didn't control any DE and couldn't implement his ideas." <-
          Hmmmm. Interesting I must say. A good CEO kills project that is unprofitable.

If you talk about heads up display. Well, OK I can agree. But I consider Blender to be first if you know what I mean. In 3d apps market it's the one that is key-shortcut-centric. And yet I don't use keyboard so heavily while using graphical tablet so it didn't changed my world so much.

"Appimage doesn't sandbox apps." - Yeah. But my point here was that Black Panther guys made Linux distro work like MacOS. Yet another feature. It is good to have another one, isn't it?

Comment

I didn't read all of the Posts before. But here some facts:

1. wayland(2012.10.22) was released before mir (2013.03.04) was anounced.
            2. They didn't commited once, nor ther said anything on the mailinglists
            3. In the first revision of there mir spec wiki article there said wayland has a bunch of security holes and doesn't have some features.
            4. Every single problem canonical had, was ether non-sense or was fixed.
            6. XMir is a fork of XWayland
            7. There were about to use libinput for mir, The wiki artikle said wayland hasn't the right input feature (e.g.: 3d mouse) and security issues of X. Now there using libinput.
            8. There said mir is able to use android blob dirver, wayland was first with libhybris.
            9. Before the public release of mir, mark said there will go with wayland.

IMHO: The comunication with the community was realy bad. They should learn to work with the community.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              Ah yes, so now anyone who ever objected to Mir, no matter how valid the objections, is a "hater".

The hostility in FOSS that Mark claims "disgusts" him... he just created *tons* of it himself, by siccing all Ubuntu supporters against the "haters". Congratulations, Mark.
              Not what he was saying, as an Ubuntu fan it seemed like the "Mir" mention of any Ubuntu technology was caused for hate. Mir, Unity, Snappy. You would have the opinion that not only could Canonical not do anything right, they also killed your cat and carved the name "Mir" into it.

Comment

Well I don't get it. For years the resident haters were whining "Drop Mir and Unity, use Wayland! Wayland Wayland Wayland!". So now that Canonical did exactly that, they should be happy that they got their wish, shouldn't they? Of course not. It's just another round of Canonical hate because reasons. I bet that if Shuttleworth announced that he will send a million dollars to every Linux user out there, they would rant how evil he is for excluding *BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by zzarko View Post
                  "

"Open source community is about improving existing things and teamwork and not
                  starting parallel project ... Solus: Budgie, Elementary: Pantheon, [Mint:Cinnamon, Mate]"
                  Cutting words out of context doesn't mean you understand what you are reading. What you did is called manipulation, as the original sentence is much longer wise guy.

Comment

The NIH syndrome is one of the advantages of open software. It's the reason why we have so many options in open source and not in proprietary. Canonical's long list of failed attempts is a sign that it's willing to embrace new ideas, which is a good thing not a bad thing. So even though you don't like Mir you shouldn't hate Canonical for attempting, especially that they were attempting to solve an issue not being solved by anyone else in the open source community, which is convergence. I'm personally glad that Mir is finally dead, but if Mir succeeded and Wayland was the one that was put to rest I would've been equally happy.
                    Last edited by sarmad; 08 April 2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranomier
                      I'm not sure if my post succeded.
                      This a test, please delete it.
                      IIRC your first 5 posts automatically go into the moderation queue, so they should get unstuck soon.

Don't remember if it is "all posts" or just posts with links in them though...
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X