Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Kde, gnome3, unity, budgie an many others use a lot of ram compared to xfce.
    http://dwaves.de/2016/01/04/comparis...inux-desktops/
    That table is based on results that are from 4 years ago. if you go to the original survey, https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/...inux-desktops/, you can see just how shit the low ram DEs look. Perhaps you need to go back to using a green screen workstation + cli or at most a GUI that is black and white without the ability for colour. Or maybe join the 21st century

Comment

• Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But Mint has a different vision than Canonical, so you can't really compare that. For the record: I was talking about Canonical adding extensions rather than forking, not why Cinnamon was created. And like you said: Shell is stable now. Themes and most extensions don't need updating. Except that extension devs should up the version number (i.e.: add 3.24 to the supported list). But for Canonical that wouldn't be a problem if they build their own extensions, they know what they're doing.
      I love your assertion in the comments of this article that they know what they're doing, but hilarity aside I don't really see how Mints reasons wouldn't apply. They started with a set of extensions which became increasingly difficult to maintain and a vision that eventually they felt couldn't be kept with Gnome-shell. This is probably the trajectory that a set of Ubuntu extensions and changes would follow if you take previous history into account. However, if they've decided to not concentrate as much on the desktop then we probably won't see much of that as existing extensions can get you pretty far, but more than likely we'll see a whole shake up with them either going halve-sies with someone on a desktop or them spinning their own shell after a while

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
        I think you are confusing me with fanatics like pal666 and that Griffin guy and his obsession with Gnome. While I am a big fan of Ubuntu and supported the idea of convergence I use any distribution I feel like using, this was largely expected as I presumed they dont have the resources to finish convergence, you can even read it in my recent posts where I expressed skepticism so your gloating is completely misplaced. Nothing in my world has changed fundamentally, the only thing I really dislike in all this is switching back to Gnome, well with a few extensions and Plank I can convert it into something usable, I would prefer if they chose KDE as the new default but it is what it is, if I want KDE I can use Kubuntu as this changes nothing for the *buntu distributions with the exception of Ubuntu Gnome that will become obsolete now. And when you quote Mass Effect you should really quote this as well-"This is where you are wrong Shepard, Cerberus is an idea and ideas are not so easily destroyed" In fact Illusive Man's ideology wins if you choose Control, he was all for it, especially if you are Renegade where Control sounds much more...controlling. But we are off topic with that.
        At first I was thinking "man, he totally didn't get the joke", but then apparently you did, nice! It's not gloating, it's a whole bunch of references.

You and _k1l always seemed like the staunchest proponents of almost anything Canonical did over the years, even when that meant fragmentation. Not absolutely always, as you said, but still very often. Hence why I likened Shuttleworth to the Illusive Man and your nick was very fitting But now you all sound quite reasonable.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

That table is based on results that are from 4 years ago. if you go to the original survey, https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/...inux-desktops/, you can see just how shit the low ram DEs look. Perhaps you need to go back to using a green screen workstation + cli or at most a GUI that is black and white without the ability for colour. Or maybe join the 21st century
          That table isn't right. When i install GNOME3 desktop on my Gentoo linux i get about 1GB of ram usage, with KDE/Plasma5 about 400MB of RAM!. Also Gnome apps are slower and uses too much of cpu time and hdd load on startup.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Ok I literally lol'd on that one.
            Why? Keep in mind that I'm a KDE user, but facts are facts. Red Hat are using GNOME 3 as their default desktop, SUSE uses GNOME 3 as their default desktop... And they're the Linux desktop industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Why? Keep in mind that I'm a KDE user, but facts are facts. Red Hat are using GNOME 3 as their default desktop, SUSE uses GNOME 3 as their default desktop... And they're the Linux desktop industry.
              Yeah, Redhat, Ubuntu and SuSe make up the vast majority of paid desktop linux systems in this world. Probably in that order too is my guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post
                I ask that myself everyday brother, why can't we have a non-retarded desktop on linux?

Something using qt, wayland ready, which has a sane interface and isn't bloated as hell like plasma.
                So you mean LXQt?

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  Also for the Anti-GNOME guys out there, I would really appreciate if you could expand on your statements as to why Gnome sucks for YOU. Legitimate, articulate criticism, then instead of dismissing your comments I could actually identify some areas that Gnome should work on.
                  First, I'm not anti-GNOME. How can I be anti anything that is licensed under GPL?

But to your point: this is the list of Unity shortcuts for window management:

I use every single of these shortcuts constantly, and they are central to my desktop productivity. This is what I sorely miss in GNOME.

Comment

• Originally posted by A-Singh View Post

Got a source for that? From a poll conducted on omgubuntu, Unity is the most popular DE.
                    got a source link for that or are you just trolling

Comment

• Canonical abandoning Unity is good, I never liked it too much.
                      Switching back to Gnome is is good, but it depends which gnome?
                      If it's Gnome3, then I think that's a worse than using Unity.
                      I've never seen a worse, really badly designed DE as Gnome3.
                      They pushed so much for "cleaness" that there's nothing there to see or touch.
                      Everything is so hidden that it takes lots of click to see and do something.
                      Even the right-click on desktop is pretty much useless.
                      Not being able to create files or shotcuts to important things on desktop is bullshit.
                      There's no way I can be productive on such a DE.
                      I don't have time to "tweak" it as some people recommended to make it more likeable.
                      I think that will pass again 5-10 years until Canonical realizes that wasn't such a good idea choosing Gnome3.
                      Anyway, I like that there are sane alternatives for me to use like MATE, Cinnamon, KDE and Budgie with its awesome right sidebar.

Comment

Working...
                      X