Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yep, sure enough. And yet When MS or any other corporation uses profits from one business to invade a different completely unrelated business it's called antitrust. I wonder why you don't see Shuttleworth's actions for what they really are? The truth is he doesn't give a shit about linux, he's all about the money. It's actually kind of unfortunate he's been able to get away with it, but hasn't been able to profit from it yet. Really that's his own fault. Redhat makes a tidy profit and most of their projects go on living. Shuttleworth may want to take a queue from them.
    If he didnt give a shit about Linux he wouldnt put 10 million dollars in Ubuntu Foundation, there is no profit in that so how do you explain that? Red Hat had a massive headstart compared to Ubuntu, it took a long time for Ubuntu to take a foothold in server market and they finally did it, they are also extremely popular in the cloud and IoT, that is where they make money as Shuttleworth himself said in that post, Unity 8 and Mir ended up being a waste of money because the hardware vendors were not interested in convergence.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      I am sad. Unity 7 is my best productive environment by far. I hope the developers fork the project and maintain it independently. Thankfully I kept a second eye to KDE and 5.9 is at a very good stage. One thing is certain, I rather move to windows than Gnome 3.
      Then maybe you should consider switching to Unity on Arch. It will probably become the bastion for pro-Unity users. Maybe someone like Manjaro will make a spin for the hell of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Meanwhile GNOME 3 is now the industry standard.
        Ok I literally lol'd on that one.

Comment

• Pity, actually rather liked Unity for the most part, sorry to see it switch to the weird mess that GNOME turned into. Back to KDE for me I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
            We all knew this whole convergence thing was a money sink with no hope of success from the get-go. Too bad Shuttleworth and his orbiters didn't listen to the voices out there.

But as awful as Unity is, if they go to GNOME Shell I'm out. Maybe I'll grab MATE or switch over to Solus or, what the heck, just go back to Windows. Why is it so hard to get a non-retarded desktop on Linux?
            At least Ubuntu has enough flavors to choose from, MATE being one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              And yet When MS or any other corporation uses profits from one business to invade a different completely unrelated business it's called antitrust.
              lol, what?

This place is the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Then maybe you should consider switching to Unity on Arch. It will probably become the bastion for pro-Unity users. Maybe someone like Manjaro will make a spin for the hell of it.
                This is a good point, unless they modify Gnome to give it some semblance of Unity 7 I wouldnt be surprised if someone makes another flavor of Ubuntu with Unity, I can totally see that happening. Manjaro maybe but I would expect Ubuntu community to make Ubuntu with Unity.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post

lol, what?

This place is the best.
                  Especially when Gnome fanboys invade and initiate a circle jerk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    goes to show Shuttleworth is a Failure.
                    Bad viewpoint. The only REAL FAILURES in life are when we don't try.

In order to win you have to know that you can loose too. Changing focus for Canonical is just being practical and realistic about finances, goals, and direction. Set your angle & atitude for the stars.

Also for the Anti-GNOME guys out there, I would really appreciate if you could expand on your statements as to why Gnome sucks for YOU. Legitimate, articulate criticism, then instead of dismissing your comments I could actually identify some areas that Gnome should work on.
                    Last edited by ElectricPrism; 05 April 2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

This is a good point, unless they modify Gnome to give it some semblance of Unity 7.....
                      The blog post sounds like that is exactly what they will do. [Well, or Unity 8.]

Comment

Working...
                      X