It Looks Like AMDGPU DC (DAL) Will Not Be Accepted In The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't think it's practical to mainline the DP/MST support from DAL without also bringing other big chunks of the code along, so it would only be feasible if we concluded that piece-by-piece upstreaming was best (and even then it couldn't be the first piece or anything like that).

You may need a newer libdrm from upstream as well, depending on what you have on your system today.
    I'm running the stable branch of Gentoo which is on libdrm 2.70 currently, but I can easily install 2.74 from the testing branch if needed for the staging kernel, or just to experiment and see if it works better. Similarly, I currently have mesa 12.0.1 from stable installed but 13.0.2 is available in testing. I can also install a version in between. Is there a specific version AMD is targeting with the staging kernel, or a minimum version?

Comment

• bridgman AMD needs to name thing differently to avoid further confusions, we got radeon, radeonsi, amdgpu, amdgpu-pro, DC (whole package), DC (abstraction layer)
      every now and then a new confusion caused by those names appear

Comment

• Agree about amdgpu - the engineering plan was "amdgpu kernel driver", "amdgpu X driver", "amdgpu all-open stack", "amdgpu hybrid stack" (everything fully qualified), but you know the old saying... no plan survives first contact with Marketing.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Agree about amdgpu - the engineering plan was "amdgpu kernel driver", "amdgpu X driver", "amdgpu all-open stack", "amdgpu hybrid stack" (everything fully qualified), but you know the old saying... no plan survives first contact with Marketing.
          So marketing thinks half-closed is professional, and all-open is hobby?

Comment

• Nope, just that you have to work the term "pro" into product names somewhere, and preferably some "X"s as well.

Comment

Working...
            X