No announcement yet.

OwnCloud Has Been Forked By Former Developers, Founder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully they learn their lesson and make it actually open source. OwnCloud's good stuff was all closed source.

Comment

I personally never use any sync clients. Honestly all I need is rsync and an ssh server. Much easier to manage as well.

Comment

Cool, they plan to add more and more (debatable) things into it. Did they integrate an email server yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
          I personally never use any sync clients. Honestly all I need is rsync and an ssh server. Much easier to manage as well.
          +1 here, coupled with a 10 char .sh at startup and I am done =)

Anyway the gallery and the share options of OwnCloud are a good addition

Comment

Was about damn time, the owncloud deveopement stuck in the mud and community contribution was ignored / not merged..

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

+1 here, coupled with a 10 char .sh at startup and I am done =)

Anyway the gallery and the share options of OwnCloud are a good addition
              But rsync is mono directional, and how am I supposed to rsync from my phone to my server? I've tried to rsync and it uploads and downloads every file every time because the archival argument doesn't work.

Of course rsyncing between LAN Linux boxes and Hot Swap SATA drives is another story, of course I would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                I used to be a fan of Owncloud, but I switched to preferring Sandstorm (sandstorm.io) . Sandstorm tries to serve the same features. It's also fully open source.

While it's younger and less mature than Owncloud, Sandstorm uses the CapNProto serialization protocol for communication between the different applications it hosts. As far as I can tell, that gives two advantages over Owncloud:

- Any programming language can be used for each application (notes, chat, calendar, file uploads, source code hosting) as long as it has CapNProto Serialization code.
                That sounds really interesting - the hard requirement on Next/OwnCloud apps needing to use PHP sucks, so being able to write apps in something sane (like Python!) would be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

But rsync is mono directional, and how am I supposed to rsync from my phone to my server? I've tried to rsync and it uploads and downloads every file every time because the archival argument doesn't work.

Of course rsyncing between LAN Linux boxes and Hot Swap SATA drives is another story, of course I would do that.
                  I always consider my server as "master" and can copy files from my phone via ssh and laptop via ssh or share.

For an automatic mode you can use 2 rsync (1 for each direction) and only copy new/updated files (be careful to have NTP on both devices!), only issue concerns file deletion, in this case you need to delete on both.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    But rsync is mono directional, and how am I supposed to rsync from my phone to my server?
                    I'm guessing you should share a folder on the phone with the server, and then launch a rsync from the server.

There are WebDAV servers for Android afaik, and there are also apps that can send a specific command over SSH to the server when you tap a button on the mobile device, like SSH Remote.

Comment

As far as I know NextCloud is backed with enough money for now, which comes in a great part from the Spreed.ME side. So there is some coworking and cooperation going on. Both companies are located in the same building in Stuttgart, Germany. And yes, the ownCloud Foundation is a facade. It was innitiated in response to the forthcoming announcement of NextCloud. It seemed to be important to announce the Foundation before NextCloud went public. Doing so there was some hope preventing the community moving to NextCloud. So there are only two companies left, the ownCloud GmbH in Nuremberg and NextCloud. From my perspective while the former won't survive because of the lack of money (ownCloud Inc has been shut down because of that) and developers, who have moved to NextCloud in a great deal, the latter can already be considered as the successor to ownCloud.

Comment

Working...
                      X