Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwnCloud Has Been Forked By Former Developers, Founder

Phoronix: OwnCloud Has Been Forked By Former Developers, Founder

The embargo just expired so I can now share what's been happening at OwnCloud: those that left ownCloud recently have formed a new company where they are now forking ownCloud...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My Owncloud 8.1 box will be moving over to Nextcloud.
    I've followed the achievements of Frank & Jos for many years now, and my confidence in them is rock solid.
    p.s. Tutorials on how to set up Nextcloud on Suse Leap would be useful generally. Tutorials on doing so with https configured would be absolutely lovely.

Comment

I wish they would concentrate and improve the core file functions.
      There are already good calendar apps. There are good videoconferencing/online meeting solutions. There are good document editors. There are good e-mail clients. There are ...

I don't need them all included in owncloud/nextcloud. What I would love is a good cloud storage, that works perfect, is slim, easy to manage and fast.

Comment

so, nothing has really changed, why did they need to form a new company?

Comment

Originally posted by karasu View Post

maybe they don't own the brand?

Comment

Originally posted by karasu View Post
            The limitations and expectations of the previous buisness probably. I admittedly don't know much about how ownCloud functioned as a buisness but they might have been faced with a board/company head/shareholders that don't quite get the concept of open source and how it might be beneficial, or maybe just don't see it as thing that should be end goal. To a large degree the engineers and the founder seem to agree that it should be the end goal and such a disagreement would be large enough grounds for a new company and a software fork.

Comment

Does anyone know a good tutorial for how to set up ownCloud at home in a secure manner? Firewall, virus scanner, Snort, etc?

Comment

I have been using OwnCloud and it's apps extensively for a number of years, and though I started out wanting just the file-sync capabilities, it is now my go-to centre for practically everything, including contacts, calendars, email (via rainloop), notes (via OwnNote), and lately even centralised password management (via Fallon Turner's excellent passwords app). I have bought android apps to interface with OwnCloud (caldav, carddav, & OwnNote), and if it is reasonably price and easy to do, I would happily pay to keep some these key web-apps that I use under active development.

That said, what I definitely don't need in my OwnCloud installation is a Video Conferencing/IM app - for that we already have Jabber, which, coupled with a half decent client, I'm sure is far more capable than spreed.me. In additiona, spreed.me is already available as an app for OwnCloud if I really really wanted it, so no advantage so far to NextCloud.

Whilst I applaud NextCloud's intentions - to make a more user contributor friendly development environment - I hope this doesn't fragment an otherwise (IMHO) much loved, stable, and seemingly mature product. For now, I'm definitely going to be staying with OwnCloud, though I will keep an eye on both projects to see how this progresses.

passwords - :key: Password manager for ownCloud Server 8 and 9

Comment

That must have been one ugly internal issue that caused this fork.

Comment

I used to be a fan of Owncloud, but I switched to preferring Sandstorm (sandstorm.io) . Sandstorm tries to serve the same features. It's also fully open source.

While it's younger and less mature than Owncloud, Sandstorm uses the CapNProto serialization protocol for communication between the different applications it hosts. As far as I can tell, that gives two advantages over Owncloud:

- Any programming language can be used for each application (notes, chat, calendar, file uploads, source code hosting) as long as it has CapNProto Serialization code.

- All communication between applications and between an application and the host machine go through Sandstorm, so it can apply sandboxing to everything.

I wish the NextCloud developers luck, but I'm not planning to switch back.

Comment

Working...
                    X