No announcement yet.

Microsoft Launches SQL Server For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why everything in Microsoft is going to Linux, but not Skype?

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
      All the things coming are professional tools or various kinds because we have a llarge s?segment of tthe professional sserver market. Commercial software still looks at overall general user numbers which we lack to a great degree

Comment

Originally posted by Optic View Post
        I work frequently with C# at work using Oracle, Postgres, MSSQL, MySQL etc. So far I have not found a single thing I cant do with all of them.
        I am by no means know everything about C# but I have done plenty of work with the language and have never had problems. If you did find something it would have to be quite a niche area, not to mention, its a programing language, write a library.
        Database support in c# is provided by assemblies that implement the necessary interfaces. By default, MS ships the MSSQL integration directly with .NET. 3rd party databases require you to go to oracle.com or elsewhere to download the necessary dll. But once you have that, you've got full support for that database as well, and i've never seen anything that is truly MSSQL specific. If your db vendor has filled out the interface, you're good to go.

Comment

Because server vs desktop, and Azure.

Comment

why do i get the feeling code will look something like this

#ifdef LINUX
            // we need some extra unnecessary roundtrips to make our server look better
            ... call_completely_unnecessary_roundtrip();
            #endif

... code ...

#ifdef LINUX
            // i know i already did some roudtrips before, but this was ordered straight from the boss because
            // our marketing people plan to do comparative Windows/Linux benchmark
            for (int i=0; i<100; i++) call_completely_unnecessary_roundtrip();
            #endif

Comment

This has a lot to do with existing (legacy) applications, and the ability to migrate those applications' databases away from the Micro$oft $erver line.

System Admins want Linux, it just makes everything easier, and Micro$oft's trend bucking strategy does not play out as well for them as it did in the 90's - early 2000's.
              Last edited by wodencafe; 07 March 2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doragasu View Post
                It took long, but finally Microsoft is trying to poison Linux ecosystem from inside...
                Microsoft already contributed significant parts of the Linux kernel code. It doesn't get more inside than that. Yet, the world didn't end.

Comment

People still use Skype?

Comment

Postgres/mongodb among others force microsoft to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
                      Has somebody asked for it? Who is going to buy this?
                      Oh yeah, there's a *lot* of excitement in my office over this. Traditionally we're a Unix/Linux-based company, but through acquisitions, we've also got a number of products from the MS ecosystem. And it's a big benefit to us if we can draw them a little bit closer - deploying them on the same platforms, having them able to integrate a bit more closely. This is *big* news for us...

Comment

Working...
                      X