Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Longtime Linux Developer Looks To Distance Himself From The Kernel Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

A country with only 2 parties is one step close to a dictature
    That's just not true, the real truth is that a many party system doesn't work, you end up with tiny minorities in power. A two party system ensures that who ever is in power was elected by a large number of people.

EDIT: OK, so some country have ethnic divisions, but the US is a nation of immigrants and there are too many ethnic groups to try and represent, That's not going to happen. So the only real solution is to represent everyone equally. Everyone has a choice which party they want to vote for, or for neither party. The point is that it doesn't matter if you're european, african, asian, or indonesian, everyone gets the chance to vote. Whatever ethnic group you belong to still gets represented.
    Last edited by duby229; 07 October 2015, 01:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jb.1234abcd
    replied
    I am wondering why Matt Garrett took it so badly because Linus had problems with accepting implementation of BSD-style securelevel mechanism in Linux kernel ?

Even BSD people are critical of it.

Leave a comment:

• unixfan2001
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Even this is not so correct. Hitler was a copy cat of bolshevism. It means left.
    Hitler supported Capitalism/Corporatism, used public founds to prop up private enterprises, loosened gun regulation, strengthened religion in the public square, enforced radical nationalist thought and banned/destroyed modern art (what you right-wing fanatics call "Cultural Marxism" or "Degenerate art")

He must be the worst "leftist" in the history of Liberalism...

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

I think this point of view is pretty scary. "I don't want to participate because people are extremly mean and can't express themselves in any other way than outright bashing, so I have to earn my seat there and be good enough to not get bashed."

Why not have an inclusive mindset with positive feedback and constructive critique instead of being assholes? No other workplace would allow calling each other cunts, fucktards and idiots (at least not without it being a joke among a very small group of people who are in on it), why should it be a part of the Linux Kernel atmosphere?

I understand that they can't treat every person that wants to participate as they had training wheels and teach them everything from scratch, but there must be something inbetween? A grown-up language when communicating and a fact-centric approach that is inclusive and helps new contributors, not one that scares them away.
    As others have pointed out the answer is Finnish philosophy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_by_perkele , and for better or worse as long as Torvalds is in charge of Linux that's how things are going to be run. And due to certain bad design decisions and project management issues by the Linux kernel team, such as not having a pluggable userspace ABI, and upstream not having any testing besides "Does it compile and run on Torvald's system", it actually does need an opinionated asshole in charge in order to not have things break. The problem is that opinionated assholes end up stomping on the toes of more sensitive individuals, and getting into fights with, and blocking other highly opinionated assholes from moving forward over things they disagree on, regardless of whether the other highly opinionated asshole has a point. The better the code and project management, the less need for someone like Torvalds to insure that breaks don't occur.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

Politic is a circle, if you go extreme right, you get extreme left. It is the same point.
    Nope that's a Dunning-Kruegerism by people who don't actually understand politics and want to oversimplify what's going on.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
    Oh please. Cry me a river.
    I could not care less. While I do agree that the kernel developers are sadist a-holes at times, no one EVER said that technical discussions with with skilled people is going to be like holding hands and singing kumbaya near a camp fire and everything is going to resonating in uniform harmony.
    This is pure and utter bullshit. People have opinions. Sometimes people get hurt from not getting their will through. Sometimes people do and suggest stupid things.
    Nonsense. If you can't treat the people you work with using professional courtesy even while you think that they're completely wrong, you need to go back to kindergarten. We have intense technical debates at work without tossing insults at each other. Patches get rejected. Commits get reverted. Good work gets done. No insults of any kind required.

Read the comments by Shannon on the kernel mailing list. She is totally fine with harsh criticism of code and says that's a mandatory part of making an operating system kernel. She's just opposed to personal attacks, insults, and threats. That is a reasonable position.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    The US Constitution is a Liberal Secular Document. If any fellow American thinks it's a bastion of Conservatism, they're a moron.
    A country with only 2 parties is one step close to a dictature

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Even this is not so correct. Hitler was a copy cat of bolshevism. It means left.
    Politic is a circle, if you go extreme right, you get extreme left. It is the same point.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by sharivegas View Post
    Good riddance. I find it abhorrent that they want to force a culture change because they're not capable of handling the heat themselves.

I'm not a upstream kernel developer for a reason: Because that culture needs a special kind of hardiness. And I just don't have it [yet]. So I keep myself out of it. But I'm not going to decry the culture, because it was there before I was, and I have no right to force it to acquiesce to me.
    I think this point of view is pretty scary. "I don't want to participate because people are extremly mean and can't express themselves in any other way than outright bashing, so I have to earn my seat there and be good enough to not get bashed."

Why not have an inclusive mindset with positive feedback and constructive critique instead of being assholes? No other workplace would allow calling each other cunts, fucktards and idiots (at least not without it being a joke among a very small group of people who are in on it), why should it be a part of the Linux Kernel atmosphere?

I understand that they can't treat every person that wants to participate as they had training wheels and teach them everything from scratch, but there must be something inbetween? A grown-up language when communicating and a fact-centric approach that is inclusive and helps new contributors, not one that scares them away.

Leave a comment:

• mjg59
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    The main thing i wanted to use was the Linux Foundation Loader which he wrote, but he never fixed it. I told him, it does not work with UEFI 2.0 systems, it seemed to require UEFI 2.3 and there was no timeout if somebody could not press a key (due to fastboot). As this never happened Kanotix has still no Secure Boot feature - but at least you can disable Secure Boot on all systems up to now...
    I didn't write the Linux Foundation Loader.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X